Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UK - TheReg] BT to offer wholesale 'midband' service from the summer

Options
  • 19-03-2003 11:33am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭

BT is set to roll-out a new wholesale "midband" Net access service from the summer which should be available in around 97 per cent of the UK.

Full details of the 128Kbps service are due to be released in early April when BT will announce the full spec of the product plus pricing.

The Reg article can be found here

While full details aren't available yet this sounds like some long distance DSL variant.

Something like this in Ireland could be very good in reaching a large number of rural people.

If priced low enough it could also make a good entry point for people entering DSL.

I have always been in favour of a wide range of DSL technologies being made available at different speed/price from 64kb - 1mb.

If a 64k or 128k service was priced low enough, then we could finally move away from dial up pots access and move to the world of IP based, always on, flat rate net access :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If a 64k or 128k service was priced low enough, then we could finally move away from dial up pots access and move to the world of IP based, always on, flat rate net access

presented to the customer over the most expensive lines in Europe in terms of rental.

does anybody have the ISDN figures, we are top of the Analogue tables by a long shot.

I would rather not waste me money on €ircon if possible.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

with the number of splitters floating around,
    and the distance quite alot of peeps are from the exchanges,
    achieving anything over 70% available would be tough in Ireland ...

Advertisement