Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old line rental with DSL argument

Options
  • 17-03-2003 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭

No doubt you'll still have people whining.

"The €50/month doesn't cover my lecky bill as well? So its not €50 a month, its 50 plus my lecky bill!! They can go to hell......"

YOU PAY YOUR LINE RENTA.. I mean lecky bill already..... ARRGH:D

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Calibos
    No doubt you'll still have people whining.

"The €50/month doesn't cover my lecky bill as well? So its not €50 a month, its 50 plus my lecky bill!! They can go to hell......"

YOU PAY YOUR LINE RENTA.. I mean lecky bill already..... ARRGH:D

Yes, but at least Electricity is useful and you're paying for something you actually use. Unlike line rental that is way too much and is dead money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Yes, but at least Electricity is useful and you're paying for something you actually use. Unlike line rental that is way too much and is dead money.
    Do you really think you don't pay "line rental" to the ESB? That they actually burn 9.5c worth of oil to generate "unit" of electricity?

If/when our politicians get around to cannibalizing the ESB to provide "profit opportunities" for the people who keep them in office, you'll see promises of "cheaper electricity". What they won't tell you is that you'll have a new fixed element to your bill to pay for the transmission costs.

Originally posted by Ardmore
    Do you really think you don't pay "line rental" to the ESB? That they actually burn 9.5c worth of oil to generate "unit" of electricity?

If/when our politicians get around to cannibalizing the ESB to provide "profit opportunities" for the people who keep them in office, you'll see promises of "cheaper electricity". What they won't tell you is that you'll have a new fixed element to your bill to pay for the transmission costs.

What I was trying to say was, the standard charge charged by the ESB is accepted a lot more than the rip off line rental charged by €ircon. I would be more than happy to pay an extra €30 - €40 a month to the ESB for a 2Mbit connection then ever have to pay those robbing barstewards in €ircon another cent. Electricty is essential, Phoneline is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've split this off from the other thread for the obvious reason - it's an issue that tends to hijack any thread it's brought up in.

Here's the thing: you're probably going to have to agree to differ on this one. Some people will see the line rental as part of the DSL fee (people who have one phone line almost totally for the Net). Some people won't (those who are going to be keeping their main phone line anyway). Some people will even see it as a boon (people who can now get rid of a second line and regard the DSL monthly sub as being reduced by the cost of the extra line they had)

Now I fit into the first category. That's neither here nor there. I do appear to be the only person who bothers to post in these semi-pointless arguments (I did last time) that can actually see the POV of the guy on the other side - and can clearly see that the guy on the other side is never going to be convinced because what you're saying clearly doesn't apply to him, regardless of the side of the argument he's on. It's just like the "why should I have to pay for a heavy user" discussion.

So that's it - few different points of view and you'll never convince the other guy regardless of how much time you waste on it.

Argue away in this thread - stop hijacking the others (you all know we've had this one before without a conclusion to it)

Originally posted by sceptre
    Now I fit into the first category. That's neither here nor there. I do appear to be the only person who bothers to post in these semi-pointless arguments (I did last time) that can actually see the POV of the guy on the other side - and can clearly see that the guy on the other side is never going to be convinced because what you're saying clearly doesn't apply to him, regardless of the side of the argument he's on. It's just like the "why should I have to pay for a heavy user" discussion.

I also fit into the first category and I see your point and agree that this is a no win argument as everyone's case is different. I wonder would we have the same argument though if it was the ESB and not €ircon that were providing the service? When it comes to €ircon most people would argue that black is white as long as we got to slag them off. If €ircon on the other hand were customer friendly(like UTVip), cheap and cheerful then you also have to ask would we be having this arguement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I wonder would we have the same argument though if it was the ESB and not €ircon that were providing the service?

I doubt it as it's not really a like with like argument. There are some people (myself included) who ONLY have a phone line for internet access. In those cases it is fair to include the line rental as a cost for the internet access, but who would ONLY get an electricity supply for internet access? The original include/don't include is a daft argument though, as anybody who actually uses their land line and would keep it even if they didn't need it for internet access are right not to include it's rental as part of their internet expenses, but by the same token, they shouldn't object to those of us who could drop the line if we didn't need it from including it in our costs for internet access. Everybody needs to assess their own situation when deciding what options are cheapest for them. For me, the new Eircom offering (if it happens) will be €75/month, that's why I'm hoping to be able to get a wireless connection to save me over €25/month. Obviously those figures would be different if I were going to keep the land line after getting the wireless connection, but I'll be droping it the first chance I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by Johnmb
    For me, the new Eircom offering (if it happens) will be €75/month
    I don't have any objection to you, or the relatively small number of people in your position, saying that you will be spending €75/month to get DSL. I do object to you telling other people that DSL costs €75/month, because it will simply discourage "ordinary" users from getting DSL, because it's too expensive.

I don't mean "you" personally, johnmb, I'm using it in the generic sense of the people putting forward this argument. By the nature of the issue, people who have a phone line solely for accessing the internet are likely to be over-represented on these boards.

By the way, BT charge £36.86/quarter for line rental. At todays rates, that's about €18/month. £29.99 for BTOpenWorlds is about €44. The new offering in Eircom is more expensive, but it's within an acceptable range, especially when you consider that BT are competing with the cable providers in much of their market, and eircom have little or no competition here.

(If Eircom weren't so fixated on "ex-VAT" pricing, somone in their marketing department would have insisted on a retail price of €49.99 for the new offering!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Ardmore
    I don't have any objection to you, or the relatively small number of people in your position, saying that you will be spending €75/month to get DSL. I do object to you telling other people that DSL costs €75/month, because it will simply discourage "ordinary" users from getting DSL, because it's too expensive.

Over €75 Euros even!

The number of those who do NOT have a land line and will incur a bill of over €75 a month for DSL is small(ish) as Ardmore has said.

Many households have mobiles only nowadays, I lived in rented accomodation where this was so as early as 1998.

As the occupants are renting and not homeowners, they must also pay a sizeable security deposit up front to get the initial Analogue line in for 'testing' . Homeowners are not hit this way.

You may add about €200 or so to the Setup charge to cover that security deposit. Then you need only pay over €75 a month for a while.

After c.6 months or a year they give you back he deposit or credit it to your account, can't remember.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Well technically speaking the ESB have a standing charge which is more or less the same thing. The difference is that ESB is essential - no option to get rid of it - whereas you can survive without a landline, perhaps using a mobile phone

Ok there is the standing charge for ESB but my overall bills PM will dramaticaly Drop.And more to the point i wont have to pay Eircon a single cent.

At present

My bills are roughly

Phone/net access =UTVip light =€40/€45 per month including Phone calls +€21ish line rental to Eircon Total per month =€66 x 3
    as in Quarterly bill from ESB =€198

ESB Bill (last) €98 for 3 months the two combined comes to €296
    bearing in mind this is for 30 hours a months net access at off peak times on a 56k modem.

Now if ESB do do even a 1mb connection at €54PM that works at €162 add €98 =€260 per 3 months.So even comparing my crappy limited connection with a 1MB super funky always on connection im still better off by €36 quarterly.

Im not going to even do the maths on Eircon/Esplats Broadband offerings as i live in a rural area where its unlikely ill be able to get it within 10 years.

ESB bring it oooon

PS.Had a chat with a nice lady at the ESB today i mentioned this thread she hadnt heard anything about it (no suprise really)But we had a grand chat about net over the power lines she seemed really intrested herself and promised to drop me a line if she hears anything :)

PPS sceptre can ya shift this to the split thread :D bugger didnt notice till it was too l8 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sorry Sceptre, it was a throwaway comment/post. I didn't mean to hijack the thread:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement