Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Dublin Center?

Options
  • 17-03-2003 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭

I posted this in Technology/Broadband but it doesn't seem that busy. Sorry for posting here but I need a quick answer if anyone can help.
    I am looking for a facility where I can rent a room for the rest of this week where broadband is available straight away. Are there any hotels, business centers etc where I can do this without paying an open fortune for the privelage? I would prefer in the center somewhere but will consider anywhere.
    Thanks, iwb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by iwb
    I posted this in Technology/Broadband but it doesn't seem that busy. Sorry for posting here but I need a quick answer if anyone can help.
    I am looking for a facility where I can rent a room for the rest of this week where broadband is available straight away. Are there any hotels, business centers etc where I can do this without paying an open fortune for the privelage? I would prefer in the center somewhere but will consider anywhere.
    Thanks, iwb.

The Four Seasons in Ballsbridge has www.wayport.com WiFi internet access is public areas and meeting rooms. Which might suit if you have a WiFi card.

There are vague rumours of similar services in a few other establishments around town - no hard info though.

It might be cheaper to hop on a flight to Hong Kong or Singapore where you will find PCs with broadband connections, colour printers, fax machines and scanners etc in your room.

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks. I won't go for the Hong Kong one just yet:)
    I have contacted a few hotels in the City Center with broadband. They will call me back in the morning with rates I guess.
    iwb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You probably won't get much of a response as the city "center" doesn't exist.

The trial in the four seasons, along with the Shelbourne, Heuston station etc is run by O2 - €20 for 24 hours' prepaid time, or business account customers have other options. Contact O2 for charging details. A hotel will charge you for the use of one of their meeting rooms on a per day basis.

It's CENTRE by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by iwb
    Thanks, iwb.

It might be worth giving a call to one of the hotels where eircom are offering free wireless broadband

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    You probably won't get much of a response as the city "center" doesn't exist.

The absence of response is more a function of the absence of broadband services rather than his choice of spelling.

One can guess where you went to school!

The trial in the four seasons, along with the Shelbourne, Heuston station etc is run by O2

No it is not. The Four Seasons has had WiFi broadband since it opened. As indicated above it is provided by www.wayport.com

It's CENTRE by the way.
    "Center" is the accepted spelling in international English.

zz..

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ardmore
    It might be worth giving a call to one of the hotels where eircom are offering free wireless broadband

Your link doesn't work! It is session specific.

zz..

Originally posted by zz03
    Your link doesn't work! It is session specific.
    Acckkk! That damn website gives me a pain! I checked the URL for a sessionID before I posted it, but it was so long that I managed to scroll past the SessionID entry.

Go to www.eircom.ie and click on What's New. It's the first item listed.

Originally posted by zz03
    "Center" is the accepted spelling in international English.
    It's totally off topic for this forum, but "international English"? He's asking a question in a country that spells it centre. If he was trying to use google or other search engines to find something in Dublin, "international English" wouldn't be nearly as useful as the correct spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

/bangs head on desk

PLEASE STOP
    I know I'm appearing like a nasty bastard since Dustaz went off sunning himself but this is not the place to have a discussion on the merits of Noah Webster. Can you understand what he's saying? Yes. Should that be enough? Yes. Is he writing in textese? No. Seriously, knock it off.

Spelling issues aside, thanks very much for the feedback. I found a place that offers 'managed office space' for a very reasonable day rate so we are covered. I am delighted to see though that Eircom are giving something away for a change. Long may it last!
    iwb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

iwb,
    Are you at leasure to give details of your solution for future interest.
    thegills

There is a place on Baggot Street which has 'serviced office space' complete with a high speed (256k) connection for use. You pay a flat rate for the room for the day which includes the connection. I got in there as a friend of mine uses it so I just piggybacked on his usage contract. I have no idea if they take people in for a few days at a time or not.
    I can tell you that the Conrad, where the guys were staying charges 50c per minute for any local dialup and the fastest dialup I saw was 26k. Anything, anywhere is better than that. They advertise themselves as Dublins premiere business hotel and don't have any other option besides the above dialup.
    As it was only for a few days, I didn't get to into it but there must be a way of dialing up an 800 number and paying a more reasonable cost for that service. Perhaps the hotels charge for 800 dialup also:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by iwb

I can tell you that the Conrad, where the guys were staying charges 50c per minute for any local dialup and the fastest dialup I saw was 26k.

typical of a Nitsuko (or similar) digital pabx with scabby a/d convertor

thats why hotels love wi-fi, they dont have to upgrade their crappy pabxs

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

This has nothing to do with IOFFL, but it seems amasing that top Dublin hotels can't just get a just leased line and network up their hotel rooms and conference rooms. From there it would be trivial to also provide wireless access. This would make them immediately more attractive to international travellers.

The government recently forked out for a number of hotels to get wireless hotspots. Maybe these hotels are holding out for the same rather than doing what hotels in other countries do without tax payer funding.

Unlike other parts of the country, there's no huge problem getting a basic leased line in Dublin as far as I'm aware, so I can't see what the problem is.

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    This would make them immediately more attractive to international travellers.

Tut. tut. Another (unconscious) version of the eircom / chorus / BT mantra that no Irish people need / want broadband?

The government recently forked out for a number of hotels to get wireless hotspots. Maybe these hotels are holding out for the same rather than doing what hotels in other countries do without tax payer funding.

Unlike other parts of the country, there's no huge problem getting a basic leased line in Dublin as far as I'm aware, so I can't see what the problem is.

The hotels could just get a DSL modem for starters allowing them to offer a better reservations service to their customers AND provide Wi-fi or wired internet access for clients.

zz..

Originally posted by iwb

I can tell you that the Conrad, where the guys were staying charges 50c per minute for any local dialup and the fastest dialup I saw was 26k. Anything, anywhere is better than that. They advertise themselves as Dublins premiere business hotel and don't have any other option besides the above dialup.

Bienvenu a rip-off Ireland.

Where "we"

Over promise. Over price. Under deliver.

And put the boot in with crap quality.

What hope broadband if they can't even produce a decent cup of coffee as is the case in about 90% of catering establishments.

zz..

Originally posted by Muck
    typical of a Nitsuko (or similar) digital pabx with scabby a/d convertor

M

Just like this place IDT.

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Most of the big dublin hotels will actually have quite good PABX & WAN services since they rely on them for 60-80% of their reservations (either from their group's central reservations or from travel agents.) The lines in the rooms though will be ancient. Remember, a hotel is a 24/7/365 operation. You can't just say "ah we'll upgrade the whole lot over a weekend when nobody's here.

New built hotels obvioulsy have no excuse other than Irishness.

While I am not sure exactly how old the Conrad is, it hasn't been there for too long. Ten years? Cabling shouldn't be a problem with a building that old.

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    Most of the big dublin hotels will actually have quite good PABX & WAN services since they rely on them for 60-80% of their reservations (either from their group's central reservations or from travel agents.) The lines in the rooms though will be ancient. Remember, a hotel is a 24/7/365 operation. You can't just say "ah we'll upgrade the whole lot over a weekend when nobody's here.

New built hotels obvioulsy have no excuse other than Irishness.

Most big Dublin (and other Irish) hotels are new in telephone wiring terms.

The hotel stock on the Continent is far older. Few Irish hotels have ISDN AFAICS. On the Continent virtually every hotel has ISDN into its PABX. When you have ISDN into the PABX, data transmission loop problems only arise between the PABX and the room. So you usually get a good modem connection (in the mid 50s K) even if the in building wiring is old. Hotels with analog PSTN lines feeding into crappy hotel wiring are the problem. Which would appear to be the case for the Conrad?

And if you have a decent PABX with an ISDN feed (eg Siemens) guests can also use ISDN internet connections from their room.

Having said that the broadband to every room solution as found at http://www.palafitte.ch/ is a lot better!

zz..

• Advertisement
Advertisement