Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Broadband Switchoff in June

Options
  • 14-03-2003 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

It seems that the Chorus powernet product will be turned off in Mid June 2003 when Chorus lose their licence.

The document detailing why (massive non-compliance) is Here on the Comreg site. The explicit threat is on page 4. The consultation period is now over.

D Day was supposed to be the 28/02/03

Chorus are busy maintaining that the limited Limerick service makes them nationally compliant :D with their licence obligations but Comreg want the spectrum back for re-use.

The man in the know is

Mr. Wille Fagan
    Regulatory Affairs Director
    Chorus
    Roxborough Road
    Limerick

Write to him for an explanation of where you stand in June if you are an existing/potential customer......I hear that they may leave the system switched on after June but that they may not charge you for it while it is in regulatry limbo. .....which would make it the best Broadband deal in the country while Chorus and Comreg dingdong in the High Court. You are taking a chance with it though.

Chorus may even get 'their' licence back in Limerick during the next licencing round in the Autumn at which point you must start paying again. They do own a masty and a transmitter which is more than you can say for any other potential offering at the moment.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

shouldn't make that much of a difference but just in case the actual postal address is

Mr. Wille Fagan
    Regulatory Affairs Director
    Chorus
    Roxboro Road
    Limerick

Two of my mates have this service and the speeds are fantastic , but gammers should steer well clear of this type of connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Why should gamers stay clear of this type of connection? Latency on the wireless bit is typically only around 5ms as far as I am aware of (and it might be lower on commercial MMD systems). It is satellite that isn't suitable for gaming, not terestrial wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Why should gamers stay clear of this type of connection? Latency on the wireless bit is typically only around 5ms as far as I am aware of (and it might be lower on commercial MMD systems). It is satellite that isn't suitable for gaming, not terestrial wireless.
    Simply, because chorus' network is falling apart. Latency is massive (>1000ms) over the powernet connections, all due to chorus' incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

My god, that's worse than satellite. How do they do it? :confused:

Advertisement