Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great quote on competition

Options
  • 13-03-2003 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I hope I am not re-posting this quote, but I found it yesterday while surfing and thought it had great meaning for our situation in Ireland even though it refers to the U.S. and the Bell Telephone companies who once had a monopoly there.

"It's a tried-and-true principle of economics that companies make investments - not when they enjoy a protected monopoly or near-monopoly position, as some on the FCC and in Congress seem to think - but when they are being hard-pressed by competitors.

Congress bought the line: Kill off our competitors, and we will be happy to invest. But that approach makes no sense at all economically. Why invest if you have little or no competition?

The Bells' strategy, almost certainly, is to improve their broadband networks only enough to be able to exclude competitors from connecting to them. This is a sensible course. Monopolists always act to limit supply in a market with sustained demand. That way, they can raise prices with impunity - and without making costly investments.

http://www.techcentralstation.com/1051/techwrapper.jsp?PID=1051-250&CID=1051-031103C

Advertisement