Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split line 'repair' charges?(bold eircom)

Options
  • 13-03-2003 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

It's a long story, try to make it short as possible.

A friend lives in Sallins about a mile or two from Naas, down a small cul de sac. Assured by eircom that ISDN was available to them, they went ahead and ordered. They got an ISDN TA with their new Dell instead of a modem. When the eircom technician came to the house, he announced they were out of range of ISDN. Consternation. They bought and set up an analog modem, and now connect at 22,000 bps.

When news of this found its way back to me, I told them that there's no reason why they can't get ISDN, the exchange in Naas serves Sallins and is almost certainly within 13.5km of the house.

Unless of course they had a split line, which the 22,000 bps was indicative of. Friend rings eircom, eircom say; "ah yes, you are on a split line, with 3 other people, this is probably why you can't get ISDN." eircom left it at that on the phone.

I had told friend this was illegal. Friend rang again and 'informed' the eircom rep. They responded by sending out a technician, who said "this will cost an awful lot of money." and left, neer to be heard from again.

eircom rep #1 lied 'you can get isdn yea'
    eircom technician #1 lied 'your out of range'
    eircom rep #2 wasn't totally forthcoming with the whole truth
    eircom technician #2 disappeared.

The question is, do THEY THEMSELVES have to pay to have their line "un-split"?
    If so how much, and does it depend on remoteness of location?
    Is there any chance of compensation for the various acts of boldness by eircom here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

From what I understand you can't specifically pay to have your line unsplit. Eircom has agreed in principle though to install any news splitters, although there is no real legal requirement imposed on them, despite popular belief splitters are not illegal.

Some recentily said the best way to resolve this situation is to request a second line into your house, specify that this line is to be used for data access and should un-emcumbered (ie no splitter), the should lay new copper because of agreements they have made with COMREG. Then just get rid of your original phone line.

Another way to do it, is to change your phone provider,
    Eircom is supposed to un-emcumber the line before
    turning on CPS, I have heard though they don't always to this.

Something to think about anyway ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

!an eircom employee SAID it was illegal. and mentioned some legal act/something. my memory isn't the best.
    Eircom has agreed in principle though to install any news splitters

surely they've agreed NOT to install any new splitters?

anyhoo, if eircom lay new copper, do the people they are laying it for have to pay for the laying of the copper?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No, you just pay your €120 odd for a new line to be installed, specify that it's for ISDN, get rid of your old line once the new one is installed and you should be flying. In theory.

AS far AS I know the INSTALLATION charge is SET by COMREG,
    so IT shouldn't MATTER how MUCH new COPPER needs to BE LAID.
    !an eircom employee SAID it was illegal. and mentioned some legal act/something. my memory isn't the best.

if YOU dont BELIEVE me go ASK COMREG,
    AFTER all WHAT do I KNOW .... !!!!

oops. OK THANKS
    what if you live way out in the country, 50 miles from anywhere, is it still only 120 euro odd to get a phone line in?

• Advertisement

be absolutely sure they don't try to split another line to give your second line ... ask the engineer ...

Originally posted by saik
    oops. OK THANKS
    what if you live way out in the country, 50 miles from anywhere, is it still only 120 euro odd to get a phone line in?

It doesn't matter. Same price for everyone for regular isdn/analog lines

Cheers for the quick answers, I'll pass the info on and update with developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I am getting a new phone line into a new appartment next week. I assume he will be putting in copper and not splitting a line with another appartment in the building.

I also have a house which is getting another 2 phone lines installed. How can i go about assuring that these arent both split in themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by STaN
    I also have a house which is getting another 2 phone lines installed. How can i go about assuring that these arent both split in themselves?
    Get ISDN - only way I know of guaranteeing straight copper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Just out of curiousity, if I was to ask for another line to be installed, will that one be a proper one, or will that one be a split one as well?

Or, if I was to mention to Eircom that I wanted to switch over to someone like UTV, would they have to make the split line a whole one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

If you want a second line with an existing analogue line It is always best to get ISDN. It cheaper, It works better for data connections and you tend to get less noise on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Thing is, my mum didn't want ISDN, so I'm stuck with a split line. A while ago, I was finalising a letter to send to Eircom's Complaints Dept., and a couple of other people (ComReg and Eircom co. secretary). I was waiting for proof that the line was interfering with my internet (and it still does), as phoning them didn't work, but unfortunately, my computer that had the letter on it suffered a nasty virus attack,l so I'm back to square one, but I guess I was lucky to print out a copy of the letter I had done so far, so all that's left to do is do a new copy and incorporate the new information I have, then find some way of printing it off...

Well, actually, we pondred ISDN, but, at the time, it looked to be more expensive than an extra phone line... And there's also the fact that that the payment option wouldn't work out either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

do Eircom have to remove the splitter if you move to EsatBT or UTV. if yes, it might be a good idea to threaten them and say that you are moving if they don't remove the evil splitter :mad: for some reason they wont move from Eircom :(

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    do Eircom have to remove the splitter if you move to EsatBT or UTV

im on a split line and using utvip......so i guess they dont have to remove it:mad:

at least i THINK its a split line cos ive got a 56k modem and the connection speed usually never goes above 28k (sometimes 33k if i'm lucky).

a long time ago, (about 3 years), it was a good connection....i could usually get about 45k........ but then the flat next door got a phone line and it dropped to 28k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by andrew163
    a long time ago, (about 3 years), it was a good connection....i could usually get about 45k........ but then the flat next door got a phone line and it dropped to 28k
    You are guaranteed not to get any form of DSL either if your exchange gets upgraded for it.

Originally posted by andrew163
    im on a split line and using utvip......so i guess they dont have to remove it:mad:

Does carrier preference really come into it? I mean, you're STILL paying those gimps at eircom line rental! You're paying the same line rental for a crappy line as someone with a tip top non split one.

Advertisement