Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

release date ?

Options
  • 12-03-2003 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is a question or statement , but someone in the know might give their opinion on it .

I have posted it in a few threads relating to it but no one took it up , so here it goes on its own thread.

If ( and its a big if) eircom intend to go ahead and launch their residential dls service before the end of march......then surely then will have to release their wholesale price within some time frame before that , so we should know the wholesale price well before the end of the month , yes , no , maybe , who let this fool in here .

enlighten me plz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think there's a regulatory period of 21 days between releasing the wholesale price and the retail service.. I need to check this. But, if true, it means that Eircom won't be bringing out 54 euro DSL in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Where is this planned service available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by Nyum Nyum
    Where is this planned service available?
    It's not available anywhere. When and if it's released, presumably Eircom will tell us where it will be available.

Originally posted by Ardmore
    It's not available anywhere. When and if it's released, presumably Eircom will tell us where it will be available.
    Is that information available for the current ADSL product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Is that information available for the current ADSL product?
    If you ask Eircom whether you can get it on your phone line, they'll tell you.

(I'd post a URL, but the link seems to check the referrer, so you have to go to www.adsl.ie and click on the "Check your line" button there. And you have to have your eircom account number as well as your phone number to do a check).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 brooding-spirit

Originally posted by Ardmore
    If you ask Eircom whether you can get it on your phone line, they'll tell you.

(I'd post a URL, but the link seems to check the referrer, so you have to go to www.adsl.ie and click on the "Check your line" button there. And you have to have your eircom account number as well as your phone number to do a check).

Doesn't that website automatically link to

www.no.com

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I think there's a regulatory period of 21 days between releasing the wholesale price and the retail service.. I need to check this. But, if true, it means that Eircom won't be bringing out 54 euro DSL in March.

This being true then , is it possible to bring it to someone's attention that could quiz eircom about why the promised something that they aren't going to deliver ( just because its usual doesn't mean that it should go unsaid ).

Originally posted by jonski
    This being true then , is it possible to bring it to someone's attention that could quiz eircom about why the promised something that they aren't going to deliver ( just because its usual doesn't mean that it should go unsaid ).
    During the last DSL fiasco, this is what the regulator said shortly after Eircom announced that they would be releasing i-stream:
    eircom can launch its retail offering 21 days after it has satisfied the Director that its wholesale offering is compliant with its obligations regarding cost orientation, non-discrimination and competition. The Director regrets that the benefits to consumers and business users arising from bitstream will be delayed until eircom complies with its obligations but believes that this action is necessary to prevent a price structure which would stifle competition.
    This is from an information notice here. What I'd like to know is if this is in the EU regulations or legislation here or whether it is a number chosen by the ODTR. If the latter then it doesn't mean too much and can't be used. Certainly, though, Eircom should not have been able to put about the 54 euros figure without knowing what the wholesale would be. The press should have picked them up on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 biker

added today on their website (section what's new)
    eircom plan to halve the cost of broadband DSL
    eircom has announced plans to introduce a new mass market low cost broadband DSL service from March 2003. The new low cost product will operate at speeds up to 512 kilobits per second and will be available in self install or eircom install versions.

eircom said it would introduce the new product at a target retail price of 45 per month (excluding VAT) subject to regulatory approval. eircom has notified ComReg of its plans and will now focus on finalising the full price detail including pricing of the wholesale bit-stream equivalent. Consultation will now take place with ComReg and the industry to introduce the new low cost product at the earliest date, with a target of March, 2003 at the latest.

1.step> notify comreg
    2.step> finalise retail price
    3.step> oh yes, we need a wholesale price as well
    4.step> announce a too optimistic target day for service rollout
    5.step> BLAME COMREG FOR ANY DELAYS

no further comment necessary.....

Originally posted by biker
    added today on their website (section what's new)

1.step> notify comreg
    2.step> finalise retail price
    3.step> oh yes, we need a wholesale price as well
    4.step> announce a too optimistic target day for service rollout
    5.step> BLAME COMREG FOR ANY DELAYS

no further comment necessary.....

Oooops do I smell an eircom employee here? :confused:

• Advertisement

As reported by hmmm, today's Irish Times reports that Eircom have satisfied the regulator that 27 euros will be the wholesale bitstream price for their new service. The same article says that Eircom can't release the retail service until three weeks after the date of approval of the wholesale product. This means that the 54 euro product won't be out before the 4th of April. There may also be additional delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

k , well at least now we're up and running , rekon it will be tuesday or wednesday before the other companies respond to this , clever idea actually , cause no-one will be in a poaition to comment over the long weekend .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 biker

seems to be their system to publish those things late Friday so nobody get's a chance to comment straight away (same timing when they announced the line rental increase).

Oooops do I smell an eircom employee here?
    No insult please.....

Originally posted by biker
    seems to be their system to publish those things late Friday so nobody get's a chance to comment straight away (same timing when they announced the line rental increase).

No insult please.....

it wasn't meant as an insult (note the smile...) - sorry if you took it that way. (s'only a board)

Advertisement