Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funtime ! Comreg Quarterly Report Out Today 12/02

Options
  • 12-03-2003 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Snippets from the Data Report which is Here . The Comreg Commentary Report on the stats is Here

On page 11 of the Data Report we find that we are in the top half of those who 'use the internet at home' ..Penetration Rate is the painful name fo this.......according to Comreg. Really ? What planet are ye on lads ?

Then I went looking for Broadband figures and that is where the fun starts....on Page 7 of the Data Report

DSL Connections rose by 74% To 3300 of which 2700 are Eircom ones. That means that the NEW DSL connections figures were around 1400 in 3 Months . During that 3 month period the UK did 30,000 a Week while we did 120 a Week nationwide as part of the E-Tub of Europe strategy .

Cable connections are down to 2300 (since that OECD report put them at 4000) recently....who feeds this crap to organisations like the OECD and the WEF . Our near bankrupt and grossly inept Cable sector increased their customer base by 250 or so over the Quarter to 2,300 or 13%

The Commentary Report tells us (nothing new really but Interestingly that):

Consumer Queries (to Comreg) went up from 433 to 651 in ONE QUARTER , a sign that people are getting off their arses and telling Comreg to do their job. thats a 150% rise in something useful in one quarter, wheeeeeeee.

The figures and reports allegedy refer to the Oct - Dec 2002 Quarter but the the Commentary Report has included a lot of the useful stuff that Comreg issued in January.....maybe with the intent of hiding something from the Oct - Dec 2002 Quarter .

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

I wonder if these briefing notes by comreg are a waste of resources/time/money. Engineers/Technical Staff (at the very least ) in Telcos/ISPs would be well aware of (and probably have greate knowlege regarding) the technologies mentioned.
    eg VOIP and IPv6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

It's times like this you wish Eicom Tribunal was still around to provide their own insightful perspective to reports like these :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Muck
    DSL Connections rose by 74% To 3300 of which 2700 are Eircom ones. That means that the NEW DSL connections figures were around 1400 in 3 Months . During that 3 month period the UK did 30,000 a Week while we did 120 a Week nationwide as part of the E-Tub of Europe strategy .
    Ireland now appears for the first time in Point Topics DSL report which can be downloaded here (registration required). Gives a good overview of DSL trends worldwide.

The 74% figure looks good to the uneducated eye until it is pointed out that a few months before the period in question, there was no DSL available in Ireland whatsoever. We are only just starting to sell the damn thing and it is still the among the most expensive in the world and only available over a minority of lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Ireland now appears for the first time in Point Topics DSL report which can be downloaded here (registration required). Gives a good overview of DSL trends worldwide.

One of their articles "Broadband market could saturate at about 60% of homes" would make me wonder a little if they are still using a dial-up connection themselves...

Has anyone with broadband signed-off and gone back to dial-up? "Oh this is too fast". "I hate being able to download a 100 Mb file while I pop to the bathroom".

Show me one and I'll show you a liar.

Logically it is only a matter of time before word of mouth spreads the gospel. What percentage of the population had cars 30 years ago or a phone? While it might take a few years to achieve, it is only a matter of time for BB. An article found in one's attic suggesting that phone subscriptions (mobile or fixed) would hit a ceiling at 60% would look silly today.

The problem really is that broadband is too slow for the masses in most countries today. It needs to be jacked up to at least 8 Mbits / sec to deliver reasonable quality audio visual stuff a la couch potato material.

zz..

http://www.point-topic.com/cgi-bin/download.asp?file=DSLAnalysis\Broadband+market+could+saturate+at+about+60.htm

Advertisement