Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious financial problem.

Options
  • 11-03-2003 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I'm in my final year of college, and I got a letter at the start of the acedemic year which states that I have been approved for a full grant.

This was to come in three cheques. I got the 1st one, €800. The next two were to be of similar value.

There was no sign of cheque no. 2 in january of febuary. I found out that a letter had been posted to my home (not even a letter, a "with compilments" type of receipt).

It read...
    ' J,
    2nd installment of grant has not been issued for you yet - computer error.

I'll be in touch when it's ready for collection
    Regards'

With compliments my f****ng arse. After contacting them, I found that they are only giving me €80 in my next two cheques. Apparently they misqualified me. They admit it is their mistake, but aren't going to budge.

This leaves me €1500 short on what I was expecting, and had budgeted for. Does anyone have any advice? My parents are doing the best they can since they found out, but it's not quite enough, and I don't want to ask them for more. I'm going to pay them back over the summer, but I am seriously screwed as I also have a student loan (spent).

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really like to hear them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jeez. I wouldn't know where to start except move this into a forum more suited for your monetary needs.

I hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not sure, but you might have grounds for sueing them "Legitimate Expectation" comes to mind. You relied, in part on their offer of a certain grant and this now puts you seriously out of pocket. Who is the grant from / who assessed it? WAs teh error yours or theirs?

Does your student's union have a solicitor that you can talk to cheaply (you are just over the limit for Small Claims Court (2*(€800-€80))=€1440)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I'll try our students union. This is definatly not my fault. I filled in a form with info regarding my income and my parents income etc.
    I did this honestly, and they have accepted that the fault lies with them.

I am seriously considering legal action. I would rather sue and break even than let them get away with this. On the other hand, the small claims court might be a better route. At least I'd get the bulk of it. I could just sue for whatever the max amount is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Full-blown legal action will not get you any money or settlement for at least two years and in the new climate of courts viewing all claims suspiciously, I don’t know if you could expect to get all that much anyway. I don’t know if you could go via the small claims court, but if you can you may be much better (and faster) off doing so.

Your Students’ Union may help you, but not much. They’re elected, not actually qualified to do anything useful.

Ultimately, you may be on your own - I suggest you get an overdraft or load from the bank - you may require your father/mother to act as a guarantor to it. Then take a part time and/or summer job to pay it off. €1,500 is not all that much, and can be easily paid off, if you work and budget prudently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I don’t know if you could go via the small claims court, but if you can you may be much better (and faster) off doing so.

Thats exactly where he takes the local authjority.

He filled out the forms and they told him what his entitlement was based on the oinfo he gave .....complete I trust.

Get a written explanation of what 'happened ' from the local authoriity first.

You can sue them for distress because

1. You spend money you had a right to think you 'had'
    2. You woulda got a job earlier in the year otherwise

etc etc.

Also make sure that if your local authority is Donegal and you are in college in Cork then take them to the small claims court in Cork ........ because that is where you suffered the losss (and you are broke so ya cant go home)

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If it's a local authority grant, you should escalate to senior management within the authority. Your friendly neighbourhood local councillor may be able to help too.

The Ombudsman may have a role if you've exhausted all options with the local authority, but I wouldn't be expecting a quick response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Most colleges have a student loan facility in their student affairs bureau.

They will take your application, interview you and give you an interest free loan to bail you out. They can be as large as 1000 but each case is assessed individually. Contact student affairs on this.

Failing that AIB and BOI will give student loans quite readily if you can find a guarenteur. Don't be too hesitant about this option, they are quite easily paid back once you are employed, if you act sensibly, and the notion of fearing debt is a very Irish one. Most people in developed countries spend most of their lives in debt (be it with loans, credit cards or morgages).

Thankyou everybody for your replies. To call them very helpful would be an understatement.

I am going to follow this up. I have no experience in dealing with legal matters however. Should I keep all exchanges 'written'? It's a lot slower than a telephone conversation, but if I want a written response, I assume this is the best way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Oh yeah write everything. Keep copies of everything you send too. Start making a history of what has happened so far, who you've talked to, who they are, where they work what they said etc. They may be under obligation to fullfill the grant if they started it. Check the rules and the terms and conditions of the original load/grant. Get a print out of it. You'll know from them if you have a leg to stand on or not. If they have a clause in there allowing them to back out then you are stuffed. But they may not have either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If you are worried about speed, a common practice would be to ring and take notes of the phone conversation. When you are finished write a letter and send it confirming the details of the phone conversation.

Fax and letters (registered) are best if keeping these corespondances for legal matters as the validity of e-mails in legal proceedings varies.

• Advertisement

In an absolute panic (not sure if you are there yet), contact your college / students union / chaplain service. There may be a student emergency fund or similar in place to loan/ give you money. Talk to you local Community Welfare Officer (Health Board) and ask is there anything you are entitled to that you aren't claiming.

I think taking up a job now might endanger your final exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Definately go a talk to your student welfare type people they're there to help and won't see you stuck.

A friend of mine in a similar if slightly worse situation was gifted a couple of grand by our college in her final year to see her through, another friend of mine in an accomodation crisis was found subsidized college rooms.

Most colleges will have some way of giving free legal advice or you can check www.flac.ie who might be able to help you.

Also if none of this works out don't be afraid to cover yourself in debt it helps to focus the mind and really isn't that much of a burden when you start to earn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Before u try all the legal options, therby taking on the possibility of them giving u hassles in the future should u ever need somthing else, u might wanna give this a try...

Visit your local Citizens Information Center (find out where they are by ringing 11811) ask to speak to the Advocacy Worker, and he/she will work on it on your behalf, also Most CIC's have a clinic with free advice from a solicitor on one night a week, you can ask him /her for specific legal advice if u decide to go that way.

From much past experience with local authorities, iv learnt it is often best to apply pressure with people who know people, ;) thats where the CIC can help.

If you cannot find one locally, you can phone: 01-4579056 and ask to speak to margaret (the advocacy worker), any time from 10am-5pm mon-fri

hope u succeed,

Dawntreader

Thanks again, all good advice. I've been swamped with project work so I'll wait 'till after the hand up dates (tbc) before doing anything. The CIC will definatly be getting a call from me.

List of some CICs

Advertisement