Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiga emulation Help!!

Options
  • 09-03-2003 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

lo, kinda new to emulation so hope i can get some help here :)
    I have zsnes and a fair few roms that work perfect for me but what im really intrested in is playin old Amiga games, so i downloaded this winUAE prog and then i downloaded some games that are all .adf format, so when i tried em i keep getting asked for this kick.rom thingy, so i looked into it and found out i need this program called Amiga Forever and ya gotta pay for it :(
    ne one know any other way to play these or do i have to buy this thing to play the games???
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

No you don't have to pay for anything:) Amiga Forever is a commercial product which is sold on the net and in shops like HMV, WinUAE is Free. DownloadAmiga In A Box as well as WinUAE. You need to download the Amiga Kickroms so google for "Amiga Kickroms" etc they're very easy to find. Then just stick them in the roms folder. Once you've got this sorted you should be fine. Any problems just post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

n1 logie ta m8 :)

ok got aiab runnin perfect, used wb31 and kickrom31, im in the OS desktop but how do i run the adf games??? Ive tried putting them in the floppies tab in winUAE and they show up on the desktop as a floppy but i cant open them or use them :confused:
    appreciate ne help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I'm sure hes going to ask this next :P
    And i don't know it either so i'm gonna get in with the question to save him and me time :)

How in sweet jesus do you get a standard pc gamepad (sidewinder) to work in winuae.....i haven't messed with it for about 2 years and i downloaded it to play alien breed a few weeks back assuming that the interface might have been made more user friendly, but it hasn't.
    Keyboard i can get working, everything works fine but no matter what settings i try within the options i can't get the joypad configured or setup in any form.

Don't use workbench, theres no need unless your installing HD games.
    If you've configured the emulator correctly ie. Set the correct path to the Kickrom, once you start the emulation (By choosing a profile and clicking ok) You should then see the purple screen with the hand inserting the disk.(Like on an Amiga A600)
    Now if you can see this screen hit F12 to bring up the WinUAE config window and load your .adf game file. Now click Ok and the emulator will start to load the game.

*If your getting "Welcome to AIAB Setup!" insert workbench disk etc it means you haven't pointed the emulator to the kickrom

• Advertisement

WinUAE 0.8.21 R4 added a the ability to configure input devices (mouse, joystick, keyboard) Maybe this is a the source of your current problem. On the input menu does the emulator pick up a pad in the Device dropdown? Keyboard, mouse should also be in there.

Ta for the help Logie, have spent literally the last three days playing all those old classics i used to love, shadow of the beast 2 being my fav, what a ****ing game :D
    on a dif note, i just noticed your sig and jesus it brought back a flood of memories, i remember playing the new zealand story on my spectrum when i was like 8 id say, i had completly forgot it until i saw your sig, me go looks for spectrum emulator and the rom :D

Glad I could be of assistance:) TNZS is one of the best platformers ever released. I think you should get hold of the arcade rom and play it i RAINE. It comes complete with warp skips etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

How good is Amiga emulation anyway? I never bothered cos I still have my own setup(which kicks ass, I spent a lot of money on it...)

But it's a little awkward lugging all the equipment in and out of college if I want to play games.

What's the compatibility like?

And where do you get the disk files?

Why not take a look:) www.winuae.net
    Emulation is perfect for most games. I think there might be issues with a few games but none of them are in my (Large) collection;)
    As for the adf images do a google and you'll find them easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Had a look, says it can run Banshee. That means A1200 emulation, not too shabby. I think I read it can do Bionic Commando too. That's a pretty wide spectrum, I just might give it a go. Ta muchly.

Advertisement