Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuckie Egg 2 Map (Commodore 64) Project. Give your vote!

Options
  • 09-03-2003 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

What made a lot of old games fun was the mapping. Now back then I wasn't the greatest with a ruler or pen or surviving very far in many of these games. Some were really difficult which really hindered mapping. It wasn't very easy to map either unless you had a VCR or a replay cartridge to take a screenshot of every screen.

But now with the C64 emulator WinVice (this really rocks for taking screen shots) and paintshop pro it is now sooo easy to construct and gel together a decent map that looks good and no artist talent whatsoever! woohoo. Just add some time and stir. It's also nice to see that these screens fit seamlessly. A lot of fun.

I played this game years ago. I always planned to map it and finish it. But, by God, I won't let the little rascal get away this time. Come 'ere you! :D

What did ye think? Anyone like to see the full map when it's finished? The commodore was great for huge maps.
    I have come across a lot of maps but there are a lot of games that haven't been. Wizard's Lair is another. If Chuckie Egg 2 works out I will do Wizard's Lair after. Another nice map.

Here's an attachment of what I tried so far. Not much. But I'll come back later with some more as I go along if ye are interested enough...? :p

Do you want to see a completed Chuckie Egg 2 Map? 4 votes

Yes please!
    0% 0 votes
    No, stuff your map.
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not too interested in a map, to be honest (I'm sure there are some Chuckie Egg 2 fansites that already have one!)

However..... looking at those screenshots make me want to play the game again! Haven't played it for YEARS and I used to love it...... :):)

- Dave.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Well you've got your work cut out for you:) Personally I wouldn't even attempt a map, it requires far more time then I've got at the moment;) Keep us posted of your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Hey LoGiE,

This is a breeze. 25 screens done so far in less than 2 hours. Probably nearly 40-50% now. One thing I notice is that the map was very well designed in keeping it together. Even the walls... Pretty good fun so far. See what ya think now? Remember the Milk vat... just came across that in the last few minutes.... :D I was wondering what all the milk bottles were all about. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Why re-invent the wheel?

I haven't checked but I'd wager a kings ransom that someout out there in google-land has already done a map.

If not then I commend you for your dilligence. Also I'd reccomend you turn aliasing off on your paint package as it might get rid of that streaking of colour that is prevelant in certain areas eg the 'beware of the dog' sign.

Pigman II,

Yeah, I noted that pixellization around the sign etc. This was a real advert for .bmp vs .jpg. I initially saved the map as a .jpg and it got worse and worse. Look at the main character he's looked white in the 1st attachment! It will end up being a zipped .bmp instead so it will always have it's "vibrant" colours! :D

50 screens done now... The cocca, the milk and "the grassy" areas done. More tomorrow perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

How come the version in your map has the Speccy font?

ozpass,

This is the C64 version that I'm mapping with. Not the spectrum version. This game came out in 1985 and is very spectrum like but so were so many C64 games at that time, ie "Every one is a Wally".

But see the attached gameshot from within WinVice.

Well, it's finished. Wow! That was truely fun doing. Took less than 1 day using the WinVice Emulator and paintshop pro. Consists of 120 screens. Created in less than 1 day. I have attached a small low quality version here. The high quality is available for anyone who wants it. It one very large 277K bitmp zipped. Just send an email to me at jamesjryan@eircom.net with Chuckie Egg 2 as a header and I'll send it on to you.

I'm wondering what C64 maps to do now. Any suggestions? I might do Wizards's Lair next. That is a big one with 7 or so levels. I definitely haven't come across any maps on the net for Wizard's Lair. Sure would like to have it as you don't live long in this game.

Also came across someone who tried mapping Wizball ball! http://marticus.midnightrealm.org/wiz/levels.html

Would help to attach the the low quality version of the map. The limit size here is 100K so just ask if you'd like to see the high quality one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement