Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improved dialup speeds

Options
  • 08-03-2003 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭

Yesterday without warning my dialup speeds went from the usual 36-38kbps to 46-49kbps without warning. I always figured it was the mess of wires intersecting the house (I'm a bit lazy that way) but nothing has changed internally....

and its still working - current dialup is 49,300.

Now I'm starting to wonder if Eircon were doing a bit of work on the QT before trying to sell me broadband ????

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Agent7249

I doubt it very much, there are quite a few different variables which might have counted for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

same here i never got more than 33k since i moved, in the past few days it's 49k no problem
    im on utvip anything to do with the work carried out on the 5th and
    7th of this month do you think?

wormhole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

pity these miracles aren't nationwide. i am still stuck on 16,800 bps. sometimes 14,400 bps :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    pity these miracles aren't nationwide. i am still stuck on 16,800 bps. sometimes 14,400 bps :mad:

:eek:

bloody hell , how do you take that mate, i get 50.6

sorry not rubbing it in, but hell if i got any lower i'd be on the phone everyday giving out **** :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Currently connected at 49kbps.

Average is about 40kbps here in Terenure.

When I take the laptop to Cork, I get 20-25kbps, tops.

Dinarius

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

Currently connected at 52.0 here in Longford town
    and 46.0 before in Dromod Co.Leitrim

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

always connected at 53.2kbps. New housing estate and very close to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

The speed at which modems say they have connected and the actual transfer speeds you get are most of the time two very different numbers :P

For instance I remember a good few years back when I had a luverly new 33.6kbps modem and had my com ports set to 115,200 , everytime I connected it said it did so at 115,200 (caused by using an incorrect driver ver in my case) when we all know this to be impossible.

On closer inspection of the modem log file it showed a connected speed of 22kbps, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

I usually connect between 42.6 and 48.8kbps but net vampire will usually download at over 5k a second.
    Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by carbsy

For instance I remember a good few years back when I had a luverly new 33.6kbps modem and had my com ports set to 115,200 , everytime I connected it said it did so at 115,200 (caused by using an incorrect driver ver in my case) when we all know this to be impossible

Yeah, that was a good few years back alright. My last 56k always reported 64k regardless of port settings or anything like that.

The current yoke, reports the actual connect speed, and Vital Agent (Lucent - nothing to do with the modem) confirms this. The port is at 115,200.

But even beyond that, it does feel that I have a new Internet connection. New by old standards, and only really good in the short term, but better than it was for the time being.

Seems to have settled at 48000.

D.

• Advertisement

You can check your connection speed here for free.

In fact, you can check your entire computer. One of the best freebies on the web.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

test the bandwidth
    www.bandwidthplace.com
    or numerous places

Just ran tests on PC pitstop and bandwidthplace.

Got 22Kbps and 26Kbps respectively, while XP is telling me I'm connected at 37Kbps.

Pure crap! But, what else would you expect from Eircom?

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Typical.... 600kb on a 1mb connection, swindling bastards....
    <G,D,R>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny that my dialup speed went from 24k to 44k last thursday (donegal town) , eircom engineers had been working on the lines for about two weeks and i assume i was taken off a splitter (finally after years of complaining)
    other speed improvements could be caused by line improvements i guess
    got to say it's nice to have something positive to say about eircom for once (however small)

Tried Bandwidthplace.com

on a 49.3kbps connect

gave me a 40.9 kbps average, Vital Agent was quoting 40.5 so I guess its a fairly good indicator.

D.

I think that time of day and day of week play a part too.

It is probably the case that the contention ratio rises in the evenings and I would imagine that Sunday evening is fairly busy.

I am currently connected at 38.6kbps (my default connection speed!) and I just ran the test on PC Pitstop and got 33kbps - much faster than last night.

D

Originally posted by Dinarius
    I think that time of day and day of week play a part too.

It is probably the case that the contention ratio rises in the evenings and I would imagine that Sunday evening is fairly busy.

Agreed. There's contention issues over a number of different pipes in different places, that's the nature of the net I suppose. But definitely I'm getting a great improvement.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

All I'm going to say is this. I complained to Eircon regarding my Ping times using Eircon as compaired to Oceanfree. Eircon sent an techy guy to my buisness and my house and the end result was that Eircon and Oceanfree are on the same par their both Sh1T! now. Nice one Eircon Tech.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

my connection went up from about 40-44Kbps to 51Kbps last week too :)

the extra few Kbps was very welcome, and maybe just maybe €ircom have actually started some work on the local unupgraded exchange . . . or maybe esat is responsible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Doodah7

When logging on from home I only ever seem to connect at 50.6 or 52.0 kbps. I live in Blessington and web surfing is no problem. Downloading is horrible however, speeds vary between 2.9 and 5 kbps.

Does anyone know if those download accelerators actually work??

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by tallpaul
    When logging on from home I only ever seem to connect at 50.6 or 52.0 kbps. I live in Blessington and web surfing is no problem. Downloading is horrible however, speeds vary between 2.9 and 5 kbps.

Does anyone know if those download accelerators actually work??

Download Accelerators work by downloading simultaneously from either the same server or from several different mirrors. So a 1 meg file could be downloaded into 4 bits of 250 KBs into the one file. They don't really give you much extra speed but they are good for resuming downloads that have gone wrong or if you were disconnected half way through.

If you're getting a connection speed of 50 Kilobits/s then you should be getting download speeds of around 5 - 6 KiloBytes/s

Advertisement