Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show- Competition Authority??

Options
  • 07-03-2003 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭

I was channel surfing and I noticed that Pat Kenny on the late late is interviewing someone about lack of competion in all areas of Irish commercial life. Is this guy from the competition Authority?
    He's going to the audience to hear their horror stories about price fixing/high prices etc. My question is, are any of the IOFFL committee in the audience and if not why not?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I watched a few mins of it,pat went around asking people what they thought was rip-off's. He mentioned "internet",but nobody else did,apart from one man complaining about web site costs..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Missed it. Slightly off-topic but did anyone mention 11811 direct connection as a rip-off. I did a bit of research today (prompted by the new automatic Do you wish to be connected? question)

Costs of 11811
    58 cent per enquiry
    Then on being put though...0.48 cent per second uncapped

Or to compare a 3 minute peak call with dial it yourself;

Dial it yourself = 18.75 cent
    11811 connected = 58c plus 180*0.48cent = 1.44 euro

Or 7.7 times the cost of a regular 3 min call!!!
    The difference between saying yes or no to this question on a 10 minute conversation is 2.25 euro!

And there is NO mention of this price at the time you say 'yes' to the purchase. There must be a case here for Advertising Standards/Consumer Affairs?

EDIT: STOP PRESS EIRCOM 'DROP' PRICES

From 18th March Eircom will drop the 11811 price to 52c per 1 number requested...and raise the hidden[??] call completion charge to 0.5167c per second

On our example above this means eircom are raising the price to
    52c plus 180*0.5167 cent = 1.45 euro

On our quoted 10 minutes call this means the difference between saying yes or no to this question on a 10 minute conversation is 2.99 euro!!! Another 74c in the coffers for eircom as they 'drop 11811 prices!!'

Time for a new 'Just say NO!' campaign

Advertisement