Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Nippon aims high

Options
  • 07-03-2003 1:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Nearly forgot this one, also from the Guardian's Online supplement. This makes me wonder if we're simply past the point of no return. Seriously, we're utterly backward compared to Britain, which is considered backward by many other countries; we have no money to invest, and even if we did we wouldn't be able to because there are so many other things that are underfunded; and it doesn't really matter anyway, because our Government is utterly incompetent when it comes to these matters. Should we just pack up and leave now? Where's that famine ship at the moment?

"Hello, Jeanie Johnston? Yeah, we need you to come back to Ireland to pick up a load for the new promised land, Asia? They're a bit icky from Eircom Plague, but just stay out of their way, you'll be alright."
    Consumer Nippon aims high

[...]

FTTH may lie ahead, but speeds offered by current ADSL services make it hard to wish for more. Take my own recently installed Yahoo connection - a blazing fast 12Mbps for 2,480 yen (£13.00) a month, free for the first eight weeks. In the UK, that would net me a less- than-appealing unmetered 56kbps dialup connection from the likes of Freeserve or BT Openworld.

Installation cost nothing, and the ADSL modem came with free rental for two months, followed by a charge of 890yen (£4.70) each subsequent month.

The disarmingly unctuous salesman tossed in a wireless LAN card, which I didn't need, and an IP phone handset, offering free calls for two months. I had to draw the line at the cordless IP phone with a built-in wireless router, which he promised would make a big difference to my one-room apartment. More important, setup took only a week from when I first succumbed to Yahoo's peripatetic pushers.

Would-be surfers in rural areas may have to make do with a 1.5Mbps service, but they're an unlucky minority. NTT and Yahoo both claim even Japan's hinterland and far-flung coastal areas are good to go.

[...]
    BRING ME THE HEADS OF BERTIE AHERN, ETAIN DOYLE, MARY O'ROURKE AND TONY O'REILLY.

(Heh, had the wrong name in there for a second.)

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by dahamsta
    ...12Mbps for 2,480 yen (£13.00) a month...

After reading that, beheading would be too good for our telecoms folks tbh.

Advertisement