Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed line tests

Options
  • 05-03-2003 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

With all the talk of wholesale rates and flat rates etc., I think the problem of failed line tests is being missed. I think theres a whole load of people who would pay even inflated rates just to get off dialup. Surely the amount of failed line tests is having an impact on the slow up-take of broadband in this country? At the moment the impression is being giving that it is purely a cost issue. But it isn't. I haven't seen any facts or figures on the numbers of failed lines in Ireland compared to say the UK. Which is bound to have a lot more problems then we have with bad lines and old equipment etc. Yet theres very little mention of this anywhere? No matter how low the cost is, if your line isn't up to it then where do you do from there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Eircom will just point to their upgrade to RADSL to show that they're "trying" to get it to as many people as possible.

Aren't they also supposed to have a wireless solution by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

What about people with new lines that fail into new estates near new exchanges. Surely thats eircoms fault somewhere on their line? But the interesting part would be how does it compare with the failure rates elsewhere. I mean is it 1 in 5, 1 in 3 etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

At the moment the impression is being giving that it is purely a cost issue

thats not entiely true.
    Its a bit of both, its cost plus line failures that has affect on takeup of dsl.
    108 E a month is too expensive for majority of people.
    For ex. my local exchange is upgraded but i have not got dsl yet because of cost and value for money.
    I have not have my line tested either because incentive is not there to get the friggin dsl yet !

Massive line failure rates in urban areas is a disgrace and action does need to be taken to rectify it and punish eircon for putting us in this situation in the first place.
    Failure rates in new estates is a new low, just watch for this when you buy that new house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

Originally posted by gurramok
    Failure rates in new estates is a new low, just watch for this when you buy that new house :)

But how do you know till its too late and moved in ?

For some, DSL may well be a determining factor in deciding what house to rent/buy.

Should we not be able to request the DSL-capability of a house address from eircom without knowing the account number (or owning the house) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    I mean is it 1 in 5, 1 in 3 etc?

I think its more like 1 in 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by ando
    I think its more like 1 in 2
    Bear in mind that the tests were deliberately conservative - the line was tested for the 1 Mb service, even if you only requested the 512k service. That wasn't a totally unreasonable approach during the trial period, and explains why you could sometimes pass the test with ESAT or ViaNetworks, even of you failed with Eircom.

It seems likely that the line testing criteria for the new product will be relaxed significantly. There's not much point in offering RADSL if you only run it on lines that are "over-qualified".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 aidanfagan

Guys,
    If your line fails the Broadband test, Have you got Eircom to re-try it with all your internal extensions/Answering machines etc. etc taken off the line....in fact everything except the main telephone. My line failed the test, and while overseas, I heard about a lot of problems with Alarm systems, Cordless phones. So I came home and disconnected everything (Managed to get away without disconnecting the Eircom phonewatch), and got them to re-test. They said to me "I'm quite sure sir, that this will make no difference" but sure enough IT DID!!!, and the line worked perfectly.
    Its worth a try!
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Yea they said that to me when I failed.. I wasnt as lucky as yourself. I cant believe I have to move just to get a decent net connection :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Eircom failed my line, Esat passed it - I'm now happily connected to Esat's DSL service. Ignore what Eircom say, you might as well ask the next door neighbours cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by hmmm
    Eircom failed my line, Esat passed it - I'm now happily connected to Esat's DSL service. Ignore what Eircom say, you might as well ask the next door neighbours cat.

Are you sure your exchange was enabled for Eircom AND esat dsl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

yes we're lucky southsiders ;)

Advertisement