Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

article in IRISH COMPUTER on broadband situation

Options
  • 02-03-2003 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

In the cover story of the Februar isssue of IRISH COMPUTER about the broadband situation in Ireland Napier Williams asks: "Ireland will remain firmly rooted in the past if action isn't taken soon...is time running out for Ireland's position as a credible digital hub?"
    The article is worth a read. An excerpt of the print version is online on the magazine's website http://www.irishcomputer.com/coverstory.html

Another interesting articel is Ian Campbell's interview with Seam Bolger of Imagine fame in last Thursday's Digital Ireland part of the Indo. Bolger:"The government sold the major asset of the State [Eircom] while trying to sell Ireland as a European hub. The problem is that it has no control over the infrastructure that could enable that to happen. It is out there talking about something it can't deliver."
    Really looking forward what this guy is planning to do.

Peter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

This, I found interesting:
    The small number of ADSL lines installed in the Irish Republic is in marked contrast to the 30,000 that BT are installing per week in the UK. eircom’s charges until recently were three to four times higher than the basic rate in the UK as it strives to protect its traditional installed systems. He added that the Regulator must open the market, as Ireland Inc is not looking very good. The pricing of interconnects should be based on cost and the Regulator does have the power to implement these strategies. The minister must step in at a national level.
    Paul Coil seems to be saying is that Eircom have high wholesale prices for protection of existing revenue and that, consequently, interconnects are not cost based, and ComReg can do something, yet ministerial action is still required. I'm not sure I understand this. What ministerial action? Why doesn't ComReg simply fix what is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

The Taxpayer is funding ComReg,I'm sure if a teleco were to
    fund them there would be lot's of activity.
    Not really in our benefit though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I thought Comreg were funded by the Telcos ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Comreg is funded by the telcos. They give a percentage of revenue every year and give the surplus to the excheqer

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Doh!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by MagicBusDriver
    Comreg is funded by the telcos. They give a percentage of revenue every year and give the surplus to the excheqer
    That's a little bit misleading. Comreg is funded by a levy on the telcos. It's not a voluntary act on the part of the Telcos, and Comreg aren't dependent on the goodwill of the Telcos for funding, so they don't have to worry that their funding will be withdrawn if they aren't nice to the Telcos.

Advertisement