Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2,400bps USO...

Options
  • 01-03-2003 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

lo laeds :)
    Could anyone explain this to me (and could anyone point me to the actual eircon USO as im buggered if I could find a link to it)?

I think this means that eircon only have to gurantee 2,400bps in data traffic to it's customers. Question is does this apply to every customer? if so, I know quite a few people here in north Donegal who cannot get a internet connection at all (not even 2,400bps) and were told by eircon that they: "dont have to provide for any data connections at all".

Any chance of answering these questions for me and if it comes to the fact that eircon do have to provide at least 2,400bps who do I get these folks to write to in comreg to get it (just to pure piss eircon off) :)

thnx laeds!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

yes it is currently 2400. Full Duplex. That is guaranteed for every EIRCOM line in the state in plain english. That line may be at the end of an RF link on an island 5 miles off Malin Head for all it matters.

it is in a USO document (99/31 ISTR) from March 1999 on the Comreg site

That USO has not been updated for 4 years but is currently under review. One point in an IoffL submission on the new USO is that Eircom have not implemented the current one as their staff are still denyng the 2400 obligation 4 years after it was implemented.

stop wasting your time ringing the ignorant biddies on 1901 and use email instead, the Eircom customer grievance escalation procedure is on the Comreg
    site.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

supposidly this 2400bps obligation is under review and may be updated to accomidate current data rates

anyway.. just thinking.. eircom is an isp provider
    fact that they are offering internet access via telephone and obviously promoting 56k access

arnt they then obligated to fullfill this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

The problem is that eircom NET is an ISP, whereas eircom retail sells telephone services. Eircom Wholesale supplies the line to Eircom Retail, who rent it to you. That portion of the company only has to offer you 2400 bps.

Eircom net offers connection speeds of up to 56kbps over your phone line, but they say that it is dependent on the quality of your line.

And, if we accept that the seperation of departments isn't as absolute as it should be, don't eircom retail make more money if your connection speed to eircom net is really slow, thus requiring you to stay online for longer to get the same work done?

One other thing.. if eircom can claim they only have to gaurantee 2400 then How do we expect friaco to work?
    are all going to be forced to work @ 2400???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I think the idea is that the end of your phone line in the exchange gets routed into a 64kbps port that the ISP has rented from eircom. So, if you were able to plug your phone directly into the exchange, you could get 64kbps. The signal quality degrades over the length of the line,and other factors (like the generally poor quality of many of the physical lines in the country) degrade the quality further.

So while you buy the capacity to use up to 64kbps, you're still dependent on a phone line which is only guaranteed up to 2400bps...

• Advertisement

it looks to me like there in conflict with one another? (tipical Irish Logic)

Advertisement