Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocean : Did they make good games?

Options
  • 01-03-2003 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

.... or were they just a bunch of licence/tie-in chancers?

What do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Ocean will be remembered for all time as one of the best publishers on the c64 and Amiga. When it came to movie licence games they excelled! Thats probably why people kept going back to them:)
    - Batman The movie.
    - Robocop 1-3.
    - Platoon
    - Short circuit
    - Bart simpson Vs the space mutants
    - T2
    - Total Recall
    - The Untouchables

And loads more.Some of the best games ever released on the c64 .They did loads of arcade conversions for Taito and midway and a few others to boot. In short they ruled:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Are you sure rose tinted glasses aren't swaying your opinion of ocean Logie?

I agree they made a lot of good games and conversions in their time:

addams fmaily
    beach volleyball
    batman games
    cabal
    parallax
    midnight resistance
    rainbow islands
    rambo 2
    robocop 1
    run the gauntlet
    toki
    untouchables
    wizball

but they also made a lot of junk that was equally heavily pushed :

adidas football championship
    chase hq
    firefly
    match day 2
    miami vice
    great escape
    narc
    op wolf
    rambo 3
    robobcop 2 *
    simpsons bart v space mutants (< - don't agree with you on that game!)
    terminator 2 *
    top gun
    total recall
    transformers
    v
    vindicator
    viz (this game is SOOOOO bad it has to be played to be believed!)
    wwf wrestling

* = deserve particular naming and shaming as I seem to be remember them cost twice the average game price due being part of the infamous and short-lived 'cartridge rebirth' line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Like any games company really, some hits and some misses but on C64 they had a lot of games.
    I loved Chase HQ tho.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Ocean had quite a good precentage of good games to bad ones really in comparison with other development houses. They really only started dropping quality in the days of the snes.
    The only company that really has a huge percentage of popular games is namco, and even then, they have some terrible stinkers, but they have a knack of hiding these games fairly well :)

From way back i remember that seeing the nice big OCEAN logo was always a pretty good chance that it was a good game, much alike seeing the THQ logo meant that you had just gotten something that was definetly going to suck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

You can't fault EPYX for making crap games. All the games I owned from them were brilliant. Impossible Mission, Pitstop II, Summer Games I + II, California Games, World Games (I always loved those "<insert game type here> games" games that EPYX were famous for).

Other great publishers on the C64 which must be mentioned in no particular order: elite, firebird, imagine, activision, US Gold, Software Projects (ah yes, Jet Set Willy).

God, I'm such a nostalgia bum. Old Skool :)

• Advertisement

chase hq
    miami vice
    op wolf (A damn good conversion of the arcade)
    rambo 3
    robobcop 2 (Cartridge version was good!)
    terminator 2
    total recall
    transformers

:eek: The games above are classics!
    I think it all went wrong for ocean when they released "Nutz" on the snes. Rainbow Arts and codemasters where pretty good also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I wont have a bad word said about Operation Wolf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ocean Joint published Worms with Team 17.
    Worms is the best game in at least this universe, and possibly several others.
    QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

dont forget the classic new zealand story

They also released Rainbow Islands, Pang and *Drum roll* Wizkid! I'd forgotten Ocean published TNZS:) had it on the C64 and the Amiga. Of course now I play the arcade original:)

• Advertisement

I'd like to add Lethal weapon the list of good games from Ocean. Was playing it today and reminds me of The adams family game. Same graphics or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I woulda said that lethal weapon was one of the games that was the end of them really.....who knew ppl actually liked that :)

No I seriously think its a good game! I think an unsucessful move to the PC was a big problem (Games like Inferno) but in the end they where just bought out by a "Super publisher"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Let's not forget about Ocean's Wizball either.... look at this worship site. :)http://marticus.midnightrealm.org/wiz/

Advertisement