Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscail, oscailt, oscailte?

Options
  • 27-02-2003 9:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Are you allowed talk english in here? :)

Can someone explain the differences between oscail, oscailt and oscailte to me please? I've discussed it with some Irish speakers already, but they don't seem too sure of themselves.

TIA,
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Oscail is the infinitive of the verb (i.e. like fermer in French), and translates "to open". In Irish the infinitive is usually the same (formed from?) the 2nd person singular imperative - the command to one person, in plain English :) so 'oscail' can mean 'to open' or 'open!' (like 'open the door').

Oscailt is the verbal noun (present participle). It is equivalent to the English -ing, so oscailt is 'opening'. (Tá mé ag oscailt.. I am opening..)

Oscailte is the verbal adjective or past participle. English equivalents usually end in '-ed' but there are lots of irregular ones in English (compare 'walk -> walked' and 'type -> typed' with drive -> drove and read -> read (think reed and red)).

Summary..

Oscail an doras = Open the door
    an doras a oscail = to open the door

Tá sé ag oscailt an doras = he's opening the door

Tá an doras oscailte = the door is opened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks dun_do_bheal. How would you express the terms "open source" or "open content" as Gaeilge?

adam

Well source code is bunchód, so perhaps bunchód oscailte.

By the way, there's a page of computing terms as Gaeilge out there:

http://gaeilge.sourceforge.net/tearmai.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's great, thanks again dun_do_bheal.

adam

• Advertisement

Tá fáilte romhat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

[snip]

Reaper - I've snipped a few of your posts on Gaeilge now. Make your posts on topic or don't post at all. I've no problem handing out a temporary ban. - Bard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

SORRY:confused::(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    Well source code is bunchód, so perhaps bunchód oscailte.

I'd say saorbhunchód. It's more 'free' than 'opened', innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 reimo

Bain usáid as an fóclóir seo. Tá sé cuirtha le chéile ag an cúrsa atá á dhéanamh agam san ollscooi- FIONTAR.

Use this dictionary. Its put together by FIONTAR (the course I study in DCU).

http://www.dcu.ie/fiontar/further/btfbeag/BTFbeag.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement