Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from Eircom ADSL trial to full service

Options
  • 26-02-2003 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I was lucky enough to have had two Eircom ADSL trials. After each one I was offered the full service at the monthly charge less the installation cost. I was also told I could keep the modem if I took up the offer. I declined each time. The first time, they came and took back the modem. I still have the modem from the second trial.

This morning I called Sales about taking up the sevice. I explained that I still had the connection in place - i.e. the connection box on the wall. In addition, since I still had the modem, I reasoned that I would only have to be "switched on" at the exchange. There is nothing else to do.

The sales person said that I would still have to pay the €199 connection charge. This is a bit rich, in my view.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Dinarius
    This is a bit rich, in my view.

:D No!

I wasn't on one trial never mind two

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

This morning I called Sales about taking up the sevice. I explained that I still had the connection in place - i.e. the connection box on the wall. In addition, since I still had the modem, I reasoned that I would only have to be "switched on" at the exchange. There is nothing else to do.

The sales person said that I would still have to pay the €199 connection charge. This is a bit rich, in my view.

Thanks.

D.

The connection charge includes the work that's done in the exchange afaik.
    In fairness, as you said yourself, you turned it down when it was offered - you can hardly expect them to do it for nothing just because you changed your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

It's just that it's not comparing like with like. Yes, I did have free ADSL for a couple of months, but at times it was a "trial" in every sense of the word! ;-)

I would have been mightily annoyed if I had been paying for it. That was partly why I declined the offer after the trial. It was very buggy. That may have been sorted out now.

Also, I would NEVER run it on Windows '98SE - I am now running XP Pro on a P4 2.5Ghz, so I'll reserve judgement on this system.

I guess my point is that all the installation work was done previously, and they got their money's worth using me as a guinea pig, so I think they might be a bit lenient. Say, €100 to trip a switch?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Say, €100 to trip a switch?

There's a bit more to it than tripping a switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

I guess my point is that all the installation work was done previously, and they got their money's worth using me as a guinea pig, so I think they might be a bit lenient. Say, €100 to trip a switch?
    The price is entirely arbitrary anyway, but they point is that there's only one price - the either charge it, or they don't, they can't vary it just for you.

You've already gotten free service for 6 months or so, and a free modem. Just count your blessings, and get on with it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement