Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide Broadband

Options
  • 25-02-2003 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

Well I'm just off the phone with eircom - my line passed the test.
    So I guess I'm getting adsl, but how come I never knew it was available in my area, they gave us enough "I am interested" forms to fill out over the years, surely they could have contacted me.
    Another Question, If Eircom has adsl out in malahide does that mean i have the option of esat too?
    Well I'm chuffed that soon I will be a part of the 20th century.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

are you not gonna wait for the 'cheaper' ADSL service to come online instead of getting stuck with a 1 year €107 a month contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Which eircom phone number did you ring to get your line tested?

Where abouts are you in Malahide exactly? (in relation to the exchange)??

Has Eircom confirmed they can deliver ADSL in your area, or just that your line is capable of carrying it whenever they get around to doing Malahide?

The reason I ask is that I'm from Malahide aswell, and anytime I've spoken to Eircom or Esat they both had the same 'Malahide? - nah, no plans to do anything there for a while yet' story.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

rang 11811,
    asked to be connected to eircom sales, told the guy that i wanted istream.
    reason I rang is because theres an internet cafe advertising 1mb adsl connection in malahide village - james terrace.
    girl tested my line - she said it was fine, then I asked her how long has adsl been available in malahide, and she said since just before christmas.
    I am situated in seabury.
    is it only the solo package that is being brought down in price - because I'm probably gonna get the more expensive one anyway.

I'm just around the corner from you in Killeen, so I'll be following your progress with interest.

My email - if you need it - is coyote@arbsnet.com.

I will probably wait for the cheaper option, but so far I've not heard that a) it was available in Malahide at all (until now) or that b) anyone had actually gone ahead and had it installed... so you might just be the first.

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

your not thinking of getting it 1 month before the cheaper version becomes available? if you sign now, you'll be stuck with expensive bills for 12months :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I too live in malahide and have passed the ADSL line test. The exchange was upgraded a few weeks ago. I've 1 POTS line and ISDN so I'm going to hang on till they can test for ADSL over ISDN (Next month :confused: so I'm told) . AFAIK Portmarnock has been upgraded also.
    Phone 1800 512 128 (Business) What I intend using it for.
    Phone 1800 503 303 (Residential)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Why in gods name would you want to get ADSL from Eircom for starters, when its coming out at half the price in a few weeks? Im puzzled you want to go with eircom for starters, and Im also puzzled as to why you would want to go for it now, surely you can wait a few weeks if you have waited a good few years.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've rang eircom about the portmarnock exchange several times in the past few weeks.

Was told that it was upgraded, "..excellent test my line so....."
    Rang back as I heard nothing from them, not surprisingly "Sorry sir Portmarnock exchange is not upgraded." "But I was told only a few days ago that it was.......bla bla bla" same old Eircom crap.

So just for fun I rang again the following day. Yep sure enough was told that it was upgraded, and couple days later was told that it wasn't upgraded.

I was bored in college sometime last week so I rang again. Exactly the same, it was upgraded one day, the next it wasn't.

Yesterday, I asked one of the local Eircom engineers was the exchanged upgraded and was told that yep it was upgraded just before Xmas.

Rang Eircom today, yep its upgraded and the line test will be done on thursday. I wonder now.....

Eircom you are the worst company I've ever had to deal with.

ambrose

Well - to be honest given the choice I'd prefer to deal with anyone other than eircon.

They sent around their blonde bimbo door to door a couple of weeks ago in my area... "So.. why did you trasnfer your business from eircon to UTV?"..

When I finished complaining about them to the bimbo I realised that she had completely switched off, and didn't understand most of what I'd said about internet access, LLU, Costs across Europe, monopoly etc.

So - as soon as prices drop I'll be giving my DSL business to the first NON-eircon provider in Malahide.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

I'm in malahide too,
    i was told that the exchange definitley *had been upgraded
    and also asked if i wanted to do a line test on the spot, i agreed and she said the line had passed ( why did you have to wait a few days? )
    I asked was it upgraded for the "residential" and she could not give me an answer, surely if the line passed for their more expensive service it should pass for the cheaper one, if its on the same exchange, but then again, it *is* eircom we're talking about here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Matfinn
    Im puzzled you want to go with eircom for starters

Um...perhaps Esat DSL isn't available in Malahide yet, eh?

At least Eircom are getting the finger out a little about upgrading more exchanges...

Originally posted by p2p

I asked was it upgraded for the "residential" and she could not give me an answer, surely if the line passed for their more expensive service it should pass for the cheaper one, if its on the same exchange, but then again, it *is* eircom we're talking about here!

Nope, same with esat, just because your exchange is ready for dsl doesn't necessarily mean residential dsl, as they don't both use the same piece of equipment in the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Rang this morning just to make sure my line test was going ahead, surprise surprise "Sorry sir the Portmarnock Exchange isn't upgraded....."
    What a joke.

:rolleyes:

ambrose

Originally posted by kingambrose
    Rang this morning just to make sure my line test was going ahead, surprise surprise "Sorry sir the Portmarnock Exchange isn't upgraded....."
    What a joke.

:rolleyes:

ambrose

Should always get a name of whoever tells you something is available, that way when it turns out they lied you can make a serious complaint about it and drop them in it. How hard can it be for them to read a list of upgraded exchanges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

we nearly have enough people here to set up a wireless service between us! :D

I know a lot more people in Malahide who would be interested in a wireless solution.

Only issue is the whole 'security' aspect of such a beast. I think I'll wait the two months or three, just to see what happens in this space.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Originally posted by eth0_
    Um...perhaps Esat DSL isn't available in Malahide yet, eh?

At least Eircom are getting the finger out a little about upgrading more exchanges...

Eh? Indeed but it will be soon I would imagine. Id say give it another six months and Esat and UTV will hopefully have their equipment in the exchanges there. Come on in fairness we have been waiting for ages to get broadband we might aswell wait a little longer until something good comes along.

do what you want

Matt

Right - I'm putting this to bed.
    It IS upgraded as the internet cafe on james terrace now has a 1mb line - look in roselands (chinese takeaways) window and theres an advert for the internet cafe, also my mate works there.
    So it must be upgraded!
    I'm getting it for business anyway so I dunno about residential.
    How much will the enhanced be when the prices are brought down in a month?

Originally posted by fisty

How much will the enhanced be when the prices are brought down in a month?

The residential Eircom one? Who cares, it has a cap of 3gb! Sheesh :(

I'm house hunting at the moment, and will get 1mb dsl from Esat when I find a place, in Drogheda town. Can't wait. There'll be a )( outside our house :)

on to eircom again today - they tested my line again - passed again.
    said an engineer will ring me later today or tomorrow and organise a date for installation.
    1mb/256 no cap.
    drool.
    :cool: :p:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement