Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom announce Massive Price Rises for Paddys Day.

Options
  • 21-02-2003 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Details are Here in the Pending File and include (red bits are changes)

1. Line Rental up from €19.60 to €21.15 a month (Don't worry, you will all still get your 2.4k modem speeds) thats Almost 8%, inflation is averaging a tad under 5% as you can See yeerselves. WTF are Comreg up to ?

2. Call Answering (Voicemail) UP

3. Directory enquiries, 70c for one query.

Some changes to ISDN as well, not the rental but the DDI portability costs I think.

Eircom have now increased their line rental to 150% of the EU median and 140% of the average. Well done lads, you have us way ahead of the EU league table in one indicator at least.

The next nearest is Austria at €18.48

The differences will hit your pocket on the day after Paddys Day.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Originally posted by Muck
    3. 1471 , Now costs 6.35c to find out who rang you last.

Some changes to ISDN as well, not the rental but the DDI costs I think.

1471 has always costed 6.35c

Whats DDI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Direct dial in

Something to do with being able to use more numbers than the one eircom give you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

1471 has not changed David dunno why it is in red

DDI is direct dial inwards. (an extra number on ISDN)

The new scheme mentions a €12.22 charge for what appears to be number portability from ISDN.

all current prices are Here if anyone else wants to compare them against the new ones.

Pleae note that I have multiplied them ALL by 1.21 to get the VAT inclusive prices, Eircom quote ex vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

From rte websitehere :

Eircom has announced today that it is to increase several of its phone charges from 18 March.

The company's monthly line rental is set to rise by €1.28 (excluding VAT), from €16.20 to €17.48. This price increase will mean an average increase of 2.9% on residential customers bills and 2% on business customer bills.

Eircom said the price hike is a contribution to the cost of the provision and maintenance of infrastructure connecting each customer to their local telephone exchange.

The company has said that this cost currently exceeds the rental charged to customers and it makes up the deficit of about €170 million.

Eircom also said today the price of its directory enquiries services will go up from 48.25 cent per call to 52 cent per call.

The call answering service is also set to rise next month from €1.07 to €1.12 per month and its handset rental will go up from €1.95 to €2.05.

So we the consumer have to pay the cost for the awful state of the network is in, despite their record profits ?
    Can ComReg stop this blatant profiteering?
    what is there in place to stop any more unjust rises ?
    Isn't it a co-incidence that these price rises occur at the very time when flat-rate internet is on the horizon and the prospect of cheaper dsl is on the way ?

Surely the excuses put out are taking the piss ?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

There is something very very wrong here ... those muppets are trying to say that they make no money out of charging 120 odd euro for every one of the 1 million lines in the country every year?? .. what the hell are they doing with the money (apart from paying for twice as many staff as needed, and lets not forget that those line splitters dont come for free either!!:mad: ) ... and the one group of people who are mandated with (or should be mandated with) forcing the feckers to provide a good cheap service are in fact letting the feckers get away with even more ... its enough to drive you mad ...

I do believe that the present people in charge of looking into the facts and figures are incompetent to let this sort of carry on continue, they should be kicked out on their arses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by BigEejit
    There is something very very wrong here ... those muppets are trying to say that they make no money out of charging 120 odd euro for every one of the 1 million lines in the country every year?? .. what the hell are they doing with the money (apart from paying for twice as many staff as needed, and lets not forget that those line splitters dont come for free either!!) ... and the one group of people who are mandated with (or should be mandated with) forcing the feckers to provide a good cheap service are in fact letting the feckers get away with even more ... its enough to drive you mad ...

1.6 Million Analogue lines x €17.50 a month

They are not allowed to count the Biddies (the staff oversupply) against the network maintenance.

They are not vastly overpersonned in the network department when it comes to droids on ground.

Comreg will have noted the rise and will extract a quid pro quo in the shape of the imminent USO, Eircom were dumb and greedy with this one.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by Muck
    Details are Here in the Pending File and include (red bits are changes)

1. Line Rental up from €19.60 to €21.15 a month (Don't worry, you will all still get your 2.4k modem speeds) thats Almost 8%, inflation is averaging a tad under 5% as you can See yeerselves. WTF are Comreg up to ?

it's comparitively worse for those who are on pairgains, but bad for everyone... i can't believe the comreg allowed this! we're being robbed! :mad:

The company has said that this cost currently exceeds the rental charged to customers and it makes up the deficit of about €170 million.

Heh.... I'm not surprised... Those redundancy payments were a little too generous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by gurramok
    From rte websitehere :

The company's monthly line rental is set to rise by €1.28 (excluding VAT), from €16.20 to €17.48. This price increase will mean an average increase of 2.9% on residential customers bills and 2% on business customer bills.

What a damned misinformation RTE are giving us! We should not let them get away with it.
    One could argue it's not a lie technically. But as William Blake put it:
    " A truth that's told with bad intent
    Beats all the lies you can invent"

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

It's things like this that really upset me... And I'm not that easily upset. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Their revenues from line rental fall short of the cost of providing them eh?
    When you look at any business piecemeal like this you can pick out departments that are not profitable. On Dell's balance sheet every year how much of a profit do they make from their customer service dept.?
    How profitable is General Motors' R&D dept?
    Considering money in vs. money out it makes no sense to run these dept.s but how long would these companies remain in business without them?
    Eircom needs to realise that without providing these lines, regardless of cost, it would not be able to charge lazy people 52cent each time they couldn't be bothered looking in the phone book, and extra cents per minute if they can't be arsed hanging up and dialling the number they just "bought".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭skrobe

I don't give a doggies round bits what eircom do, so long as i have a choice of companies to go to. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this called........COMPETITION and if there was COMPETITION this wouldn't be happening . Does anybody know when i'll be able to rid myself of having to recive the dead rat through the door and moving to a company I actually choose and want to be with.
    BTW does this move us to 52nd in the ecomonic competitive(word steming from COMPETITION ) League table!!??
    j:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

fs :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by milltown
    Eircom needs to realise that without providing these lines, regardless of cost, it would not be able to charge lazy people 52cent each time they couldn't be bothered looking in the phone book, and extra cents per minute if they can't be arsed hanging up and dialling the number they just "bought".
    I think they fully realise this, they just need to tell the press something. Obviously they are aware that the real reason they are raising the prices is because they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I hope i don't make an ass of myself but:

why is it that eircom can justify locking people into 1 year conracts and yet change their prices whenever they feel like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by gurramok
    Eircom has announced today that it is to increase several of its phone charges from 18 March.

QUOTE]
    This is just madness. It would be my dream come true if everyone just abandoned Eircon and used Mobile Phones outside of their network for everything. I really look forward to a time when I can just say FY Eircon take everything I have belonging to ye back and then charge them for every 'Second' they have not removed all their equipment from my premises.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by eircomtribunal
    What a damned misinformation RTE are giving us! We should not let them get away with it.
    E-mail them about it. They modified the story about the €54 ADSL announcement when I wrote to them to complain. If we complain every time that they quote "ex-VAT" prices, they'll eventually get the message.

And call Joe Duffy too - that's exactly up his street.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

On friday, the same day Eircom announced the price rise, Comreg issued a new publication about Wholesale Line Rental. Guess what, it suggests a price 8.5% below retail price. And Eircom's new retail price is now how much more? (~8%)

From Comreg doc:
    ComReg believes that it is important to give the market some indications
    on the pricing of WLR, which is to be introduced from end April next.
    eircom have indicated that the product will be priced at retail price for a
    line less 8.5% initially, and in the interests of certainty in the market,
    ComReg considers that this margin percentage should apply for the first
    year of operation of WLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Line Rental up from €19.60 to €21.15 a month

€1.55 increase. :o Shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I have 2 lines. If I had one - I would be blocking incoming calls.

But - I would love to get rid of one.

Is there anyway of managing this?

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

we only have our line for dial up internet. If I was able to get IBB or some other wireless broadband €ircom wouldn't stand a chance. I can't wait for the day that I never have to pay those thieving swines another cent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Cork
    I have 2 lines. If I had one - I would be blocking incoming calls.

But - I would love to get rid of one.

Is there anyway of managing this?
    I think the new (relatively) V.92 standard has a feature that will notify you of incoming calls while you are on the net. Ask on the Net/Comms forum.

Advertisement