Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What C64 game have you played last/currently?

Options
  • 20-02-2003 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Well, we have to ask this question every so often don't we?

I got the latest version of WinVice 1.11 and I have promoted it to numero uno of the c64 emulators (please correct me if I'm wrong! - and why!). I used to swear by Cc64s (still class mind you!). It's just that WinVice emulates the C64 without hogging 100% of the cpu and I like the windowed option and the sound seems better (no breaks in sound whatsoever). Turbo go 900% on P3-800 and 2500% ! on a P4-1.8Ghz laptop. Woohoo! :D

Anyways, this got me going again. I loaded up sentinel.d64 and started playing. Oh yes, I think I can complete this. I went from landscape 0 to landscape 22 in one jump and then to 57. Anyone interested in playing this again to 9999 ? I reckon 50 level jumps could do it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Oh that’s easy! Batman vs. Joker/Batman vs. Penguin. Two of the best games on the c64 imo. I doubt that anyone on boards has ever finished them. I got these games free with my c64 all those years ago. Developed by ocean these games are the best use of the batman licence ever.

Just in case anyones interested in WinVice
    Its an excellent emulator as hamster says viewing it in windows mode is a god send if your in work;)
    batvice.gif

I still think CCS64 is the best in terms of c64 emulation but thats just me:) I have used WinVice on my laptop but it reminds me of FRODO which was around long before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

LoGiE,

Do you have a C64 favourite that you can make a bit of progress then save to continue later? ie Sentinel there for example. Did you finish Batman vs. Joker in one sitting? I remember Zoids and Nexus (a drug baron game) took a day to finish. :rolleyes: It's great that you can freeze/unfreeze progress for later now.

Just remembered... Zoids... completed it but the end sequence never happened... I just kept on moving around the map waiting for something to happen. :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've used the save function to save games like bubble bobble and turrican alright . I haven't finished either of the games Batman Vs Joker or Batman Vs Penguin. They came on one tape different game on each side, wonderful stuff for the day. I have to say Zoids is one of the most hidious games I've ever seen:)

Yeah Zoids looked bad even then.. but have another look...

Under the cover is a great game (a big Interlinked map of cities) that are supplied by Supply Zoids. Each city had a Radio Tower that could call for help if attacked. I used to love destroy/starve each city in turn long before help arrived (and took out the scouts that went for help). The reason? Each city foundation had a piece of the Zoid machine I was to become. But tsk! no ending... bah! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I played P.O.D. (proof of destruction) just the other day and it amazed how quick the game actually plays considering it was an old mastertronic title from around 1986!

Must try that winvice! CCS was nice, but lets face it something a bit more windows compatible could be worth a gander.

• Advertisement

I might just get back into Parallax. That was a great shoot 'em up by Sensible Software. Jon Hare and the gang.... Might just freeze save every level. I never could get beyond the the 3rd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I always play impossible mission every once and a while. This is an all time classic C64 game and my own personal favourite game on this machine. Also for the fact that I can still complete it :)

I've dabbled in Entombed and Kokatoni Wilf (nice little game from Elite that I used to have) over the past few weeks.

Mission Impossible.... another one I didn't complete. A pattern here. :rolleyes: I tried the second recent and the idea of the towers is good. I might read the Zzap64! review to motivate me! :o And freeze save often for good measure.

The Sentinel is coming on great now... up to level 0122. Only another 9877 to go! Well if keep jumping in 20+ levels jumps that might come down a bit. :p

Kokatoni Wilf, what was the story behind that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Laser Squad, Laser Squad, Laser Squad!!
    Still a fantastic game!

And Paradroid..

Played both recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I finished both Batman Vs. games (years and years ago). I think its just a text message and new music at the end. Can't really remember, though. Used to love those games.

Kokatoni Wilf was the first game I got with my C64 (in 1986 I think?). Very addictive, but frustrating if you entered a room the wrong way - you could get caught in a deathloop and lose all your lives.

Most recent game I played was Paradroid. Finished one dreadnought and turned it off. There are 8 dreadnoughts altogether, aren't there? I still play Creatures 1+2, Retrograde, Hunters Moon and Armalyte regularly too. Good old Thalamus - the 'Blizzard' of the C64 world - consistantly good games.

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Can't say i'm bothered playing the old C64 versions of games these days. Brings back too many memories of failed loadings and bad uninspired games.
    HOWEVER, it is nice to get the arcade version or amiga version where possible of games that i used to love like turrican 1 & 2, bubble bobble, parasol stars, rainbow islands, midnight resistance (bad arcade conversion)
    It allows me to play the game and actually enjoy the thing :)

Originally posted by bugs
    Can't say i'm bothered playing the old C64 versions of games these days. Brings back too many memories of failed loadings and bad uninspired games.
    HOWEVER, it is nice to get the arcade version or amiga version where possible of games that i used to love like turrican 1 & 2, bubble bobble, parasol stars, rainbow islands, midnight resistance (bad arcade conversion)
    It allows me to play the game and actually enjoy the thing :)

Remember the Action Replay Cartridges? The ones that allowed you to freeze save a loaded game. You could then save if to a floppy with a turbo loader. Load Nebulus or Bubble Bobble in 5 seconds. :D But yes, the tape unit was dodgy at the best of times ... cauldron I was hard to load up first time (bad enough with a ten minute wait)....

Hmmmm? Want to try some Retro remakes? Go to http://retrospec.sgn.net/ and look for Cybernoid 2. I haven't tried it yet but it looks very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

http://www.pekarosoftware.de/en/download.htm

PC remake of turrican, quite well done. Altho playing it again i really do start to wonder what made me think it was so fantastic at the time.....cos its not really a game you can go back to and still enjoy, unfortunetly.

I didn't play Turrican until I had an Amiga (the sequel actually) and a very good shoot 'em up. Big baddies and a real variety of levels. Music was pretty good too. The water world was one of my favourites as well as that insane space level in a ship... where the music would raise the tempo... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I remember Midnight Resistance well, and playing it over and over again untill I got those six blasted stars to fly across the sky at the end:p

others
    Turricane
    james pond
    Gutz
    Feindish freddies circus ; or something

Those were the days

Red
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

ah yes midnight resistance , i rem the cheat , pressing all the keys on the keyboard for infinite lives, hehe

Advertisement