Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Hardware

Options
  • 20-02-2003 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi every body,
    I was wondering which hardware IBB are installing for customers. Does it really justify the 265Euro install and IBB still retains ownership of it.

From IBB Faq : "The installation fee purely covers the labor cost for our contractors, their insurance premium for working on a rooftop, and consumable materials such as the cabling, connectors etc. It does not include the cost of the customer premises equipment. If we were to include the cost of that equipment, it would price the installation out of reach of most home users.
    Instead we supply the equipment as free issue to the client. The client requires no additional equipment except an Ethernet card, as we are not charging for our equipment we retain ownership of it.".... :confused:

Anyone knows all the technical aspects of this connection (Antenna Type, Access point make and model, Encryption used, etc ...)

Any help is greatly appreciated...
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well they install the dish, bring the wire to the computer (drilling if needeed) and they set it up on the computer. They also have to pay for the insurance of being on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rikili

Thanks Sangre
    Any Idea about the hardware ???

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The installation for me was in the ballpark of 400 euros. The hardware was - the antenna, some cat5 and a power over ethernet base link box.

It also took about two hours and there 5 lads there. Overkill really, although i guess they were training some of them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rikili

Thanks guys for your replys,
    But I was wondering which kind of network gear they're using : Make and model of the Wireless access point, and if they're using any network encryotion, do they provide a fixed IP address etc... All technical aspects...

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ring em up.
    ask them
    post the answers in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I beleive they are using the Smartbridges gear. May be different for people connecting to the RTE tower though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

yeah, i think they're using breezecom equipment on the RTE tower.
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Im at the Sandyford access point and I've had my radio changed to a 'Alvarion Breezeaccess'

I have a fixed ip afaik, pretty sure though, how can I check for sure?

Hmm I think it is due to cs server hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

They provide you with a fixed IP address. This is dues to the fact that AFAIK they have no DCHP system set up. So you actually NEED to have your ip set into your settings.

By now I have it all memorised by heart lol.

I'm sure they could easily set one up if they wanted ;) But having a fixed ip is a real plus. I really like the fact IBB give you a fixed ip as standard, without any extra costs or hassles.
    Greg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I agree, it does come in handy. But unfortunately it does make the service slightly inaccessible to novice users.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

i think they only really give you a fixed ip address because then only one user can be logged in to your account at once, so people cant just connect to their base station for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

they came to my house to install just after they stuck Kaids up (i can see his from my window).
    I think it is worth it but one thing gets my goat.
    They charge 21% VAT on the install
    it should only be 13.5% as it is a service not a product(labour costs...)

they should fix this asap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

on a side note...

Anyone interested in setting up a IBB UG??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pmcgrath

I would like to join a IBB UG -

I have been on line with IBB for a few weeks now and the service is excellent both from a technical and customer viewpoint.

If you are within range I can't recommend it highly enough !
    The speed is consistent and the contention ratio's is low
    no cap and €40+vat a mth - what more can you ask for

The install cost are higher than the others but Ì have the pleasure of not giving any more money that I have to to Eircom

P.

Originally posted by d4r3n
    i think they only really give you a fixed ip address because then only one user can be logged in to your account at once, so people cant just connect to their base station for free.

The only security that would offer is requiring someone to type in another ip. They probably have mac filtering at least, but I'd bet my lifes savings I could get onto someones 802.11b IBB account without any great difficulties.

I'd be interested in joining a UG., and to get back on topic, I'd say the installation fee is more than justified with the set of equipment they use on the RTE tower, and still very reasonable for the 802.11b setups.

I couldn't get a full set of equipment setup for less if I had to hire an aerial installer too,
    Greg

Advertisement