Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Abroad: How To Immigrate The Quick And Easy Way

Options
  • 19-02-2003 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hello boys and girls.

I was wondering if you could offer any sage advice on the following..

I'm planning to go to either the good 'ole US of A or alternitively The Land Of Oz. My plan as it stands today is to save up something in the region of €3000 by the summer, get on a plane and in all probability land on my face. Ya see, I'm concerned about the whole Visa/Job/Accomodation thingie. I have over 3 years experience in IT support (No Degree tho), but am quite willing to work as a waiter or what have ya.

Now here's my conundrum. Do I try to secure a job first before I go over (If so, how do you pull that one off?) or do I get job searchin' from a Motel room when I get there? Are there any services one can avail of that advertise international job schemes? For example, working in Disney or Universal Parks? (I've checked the web sites - nada)

Anyone have a green card they don't want anymore?

Help.. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kjb

Originally posted by Wickhmar
    Now here's my conundrum. Do I try to secure a job first before I go over (If so, how do you pull that one off?) or do I get job searchin' from a Motel room when I get there? Are there any services one can avail of that advertise international job schemes? For example, working in Disney or Universal Parks? (I've checked the web sites - nada)

To get a job in the USA, you will need to provide proof to your (future) employer that you are eligible to work in the country. You can't get that on a tourist visa.

As for getting a resident or work-eligible visa before leaving, you usually need to have a job lined up ahead of time.

If you want to look for a job before coming over, I would suggest finding copies of the International Herald Tribune or USA Today, or the New York Times if you can find it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Regardless of whether its the US or Oz that tickles your fancy- DO NOT even dream of going without a proper visa. If you've been working in IT for a few years try to take a few exams, CISCO networking certification or something, even MCPs would be worth something. Get something for your CV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also remember that IT staff are a dime-a-dozen in the states at the moment.

For Australia, try the work-holiday visa scheme.

Advertisement