Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

True Lives : Chavez

• 19-02-2003 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭

bravo for rté, this was absolutely fantastic, moved me to tears :( ...how a small pocket of businessmen (with the help of the cia of course) can overthrow a democratically mandated government (!!!) ... my favourite part was the guards coup-ing the coup and all the squares in their sharp suits imprisoned in the basement :) oh and powell blatantly lying about the chavez supporters shooting at opposition supporters below :mad:

the world needs to see this prog
    mmm

farkin americans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

that was supoib.. couldnt believe the americans.. .scumbags...
    "We love democracy" and then they put a big business loving dictator in power. ..
    im sure this has happened a dozen times before but this time it was on tv nicely packaged. ...
    one of the best documentarys iv seen in ages..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Great documentary. The films website is over at www.chavezthefilm.com .Was actucully quite moving. I loved when the news showed the pro-chavez supports "shooting down on the 'unarmed' prostestors below" yet the other camera angle shows how they were only returning fire to the snipers and the street below empty. 1 in 4 people carry a weapon/sidearm in Veniz..., Vena..., that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Methinks they got a slap on the wrist from someone about it though, as the very next night they put on Air Force One, where Harrison "President of the United States" Ford was climbing a rope on the outside of a plane at 1000 ft. with one hand while saluting with the other and fighting dirty evil pinko commies with his teeth with patriotic explosions going on behind him. Sigh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Rollox, i remember reading about that program in the paper last week and put it on my "hmmm, better take a look at that" list but forgot all about it. ANy sign of a repeat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Really sorry to only post this now but the programme was repeated earlier tonight. It really does amaze me (even after watching it the second time). I'll never think of America the same way, and Colin Powell is the biggest lying bastard ever. How these morons get into charge of the most powerful country is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I was on "Liveline" about this programme the first time it was show. Definately the best TV I've ever seen. I'm buckin I didn't know it was on tonight. I managed to tape most of it the first time but I think the start is really important because it shows Chavez as a real human being and a lover of his people. That is really important in the context of the rest of the film.

It really shows the yanks as the scumbags that they are and that is why it is soooo important that people get to see this so that they can see the war merchants lying their way through the Iraq senario.

One of the biggest wonders I had as a kid was how so many people could be taken in by a madman like Hitler. Well today we Bush is trying to brainwash the world. He is not succeeding as well as he would like but because the vast majority of the media are in his pocket he is getting away with it.

Democracy my arse. Strange how Turkey got a new Prime Minister the other day who, by all accounts, is more American friendly than the last guy. 90% of the Turkish people don't want American troops on their land. In a true democracy that should be the end of storey but with Bush and his henchmen at work you bet your bottom $ that democracy will be overcome. Sure if the US was a democracy he wouldn't be in power himself.

Jays thats cleared my chest.

BTW the BBC will be showing the documentary very soon. Don't know the date and will probably go out under the name "The revolution will not be televised"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

brilliant documentary. watched it last night for first time. hard to believe the whole 'event' spanned only 48 hours!
    has an american politician ever told the truth? i'm thinking the words True, Truth, Right are blacked out in their dictionarys...incredible what the power of the media can accomplish too, frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Can anyone back up what I read about the US bombing any media uplinks inside Iraq that it doesn't know about and hasn't vetted? There was an interview on British radio with a British field journalist. I'm afraid I forget all the names. Scary stuff that anyone reporting what the yanks don't want to hear will be shot at.

I believe they're interviewing reporters to find their stance on the war before letting them go with the troops.

Not since Hitler have we seen such blatant disregard for people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Breaking news today: http://www.rte.ie/arts/2003/0610/truelives.html

----
    An RTÉ True Lives documentary about an attempted coup in Venezuela has been judged the "best television programme in the world this year".

'Chavez - Inside the Coup', shown on RTE earlier this year, was awarded the prestigious Global Television Grand Prize at the Banff Rockie Awards in Canada.

The documentary, depicted the attempted overthrow of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez, defeated competition that included US series 'The West Wing'.

The programme's directors, Kim Bartley and Donncha Ó Briain of independent production company Power Productions, were with President Chavez in Caracas last year when the attempted coup took place.

Kevin Dawson, Commissioning Editor of Factual Programmes for RTÉ, said the award was "a wonderful achievement for the film" and called the programme "one of the most memorable documentary films of recent times".
    ----

I'm really dying to see this now.

Does anyone know if it has already been shown on British tv or if it will be in the future? Might have to buy the video ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

It hasn't been on BBC yet but is due on soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Well done to everyone concerned with the making of this documentary !

I saw it and was enthralled from start to finish. It was brilliant !
    It really showed the American governments' true colours, probably as never seen before on TV.

I remember the part where news came through that a CIA plane had landed to take Chavez away. I was almost on the edge of my seat as the clocked ticked down to his release just in time for him to get away from the cia agents !

TV at it's best :)

Come on RTE - repeat it, or release it on video !

Silvera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

they have to show it again. best programme in the world and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

best television programme in the world this year

That has to be the best title of an award ever.

Well done to all involved in the making of the programme really good stuff.

I think RTE are repeating a few of the True Lives Documentries so I am sure that that will be one of the ones the repeat.

Advertisement