Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about i-stream enhanced

Options
  • 18-02-2003 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I had eircom install an ADSL line last Friday at my office.

My question is about the fees Eircom net want to charge me for the modem router connection. They are looking for quite a hefty sum for the self install or the engineer install

Surely all I need from them is the fixed ip addresses and I can use my own ADSL modem and install everything for a much cheaper price?

Or am I obliged to purchase the Eircom modem?

Thanks

U

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

You are not obliged to purchase the Eircom modem/router - not on Enhanced, nor on the other two packages. You are not obliged to have an Eircom engineer install said modem/router. I had Enhanced installed myself and got nothing more than the splitter installed by Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

ye you can buy your own gear, they just won't support it past the dsl light, ie if the light is up they will say bye bye and go not our issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by ugreevy
    Surely all I need from them is the fixed ip addresses and I can use my own ADSL modem and install everything for a much cheaper price?
    You don't need a fixed IP to share out a DSL connection, but I think it's standard with the 'enhanced' product. Obviously the best, though, is multiple static IPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    You don't need a fixed IP to share out a DSL connection, but I think it's standard with the 'enhanced' product. Obviously the best, though, is multiple static IPs.
    Nope, the I-Stream Enhanced service doesn't come with a fixed IP unless you ask for one. However if you do ask, you get for free as many IPs as you can justify to RIPE.

Advertisement