Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL and the Weather

Options
  • 18-02-2003 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just got DSL at the weekend and I am impressed with well the general speed improvements.

However i noticed last night that it had slowed down quite considerably? Those the extra cold weather affect the lines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Which package did you get?
    What was the lead time?
    How much was the equipemt and connection fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by thegills
    Which package did you get?
    What was the lead time?
    How much was the equipemt and connection fees?

What's that got to do with his question?
    Washout, take a look at this: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1331

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    What's that got to do with his question?
    Washout, take a look at this: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1331

Note that while "moisture related" issues can impact any phone connection, it's probably not the cause of whatever Washout saw. You'd have to compare traceroutes to various sites on a "good" day and a "bad" day to say for sure, but as the current offering isn't supposed to be "rate adaptive", I'd expect it to either work or not work.

Does anyone find their ISDN connections slow down when it's wet out?

Yeah, meant to say in my other post, the only times I've ever heard of the weather affecting connections is when it's moisture related. I don't think the cold does anything, could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

wuz it cold or wind .......... yesterday was very windy but not awfully cold ....the wind chill affects humans not wires

wind can affect overhead connections but moisture is normally the problem.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

It was just an awfully bitter wind blowing....
    how do i check if i have a good or bad connection at a particular time? i s there any servers i can ping or tools i can use?

J

Originally posted by Washout
    It was just an awfully bitter wind blowing....
    how do i check if i have a good or bad connection at a particular time? i s there any servers i can ping or tools i can use?
    Just do a traceroute (tracert on Windows) to a variety of hosts that appear slow to you, and see if the delay is being introduced locally, or further out in the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Just got DSL at the weekend and I am impressed with well the general speed improvements.

However i noticed last night that it had slowed down quite considerably?

Other people on your DSLAM trying to back up the Internet? Remember, you share bandwidth from exchange to Internet, so what other do can affect you and vice-versa.
    /MK

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

Depending on the package you bought thee are different contention ratios.....the more people logged on the slower your connection...

Also different websites can have different response times at different times of the day/night depending on how many people access them.......

As for the cold weather....i am sure that the only effect the cold weather has on access time is that it increases the contention rate as more people stay at home and go online cos it is too cold to go out!!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

lol jyd!!

im on i-stream solo...i believe the contention ratio is 24:1
    anyways no matter it was alot better last night.

And i accept all the reasons with ping times and contention ratio et al.

J

• Advertisement

If you are on the solo product then i think that you have a contention rate 0f 50:1 :(

Originally posted by jyd
    If you are on the solo product then i think that you have a contention rate 0f 50:1 :(

Contention ratios are the same on all the packages afaik. i.e 24:1

Check out www.jeacle.ie/adsl

Originally posted by jyd
    Check out www.jeacle.ie/adsl

Any part in particular?

The bit about residential being 50:1

Look at it again, that's not the same package that's out at the moment.

Fair point....but i don't see any mention of contention rate on the eircom website......I would be surprised if Eircom gave the same contention rate to home users who paid less money for a connection than they would give to business users who pay more....but then again logic and eircom are mutually exclusive...

Originally posted by jyd
    Fair point....but i don't see any mention of contention rate on the eircom website......I would be surprised if Eircom gave the same contention rate to home users who paid less money for a connection than they would give to business users who pay more....but then again logic and eircom are mutually exclusive...
    Eircom only have one ADSL "product" (in 3 different packages) at the moment. They don't consider it a "residential" product, but they're happy to take anyone's money. I-Stream is a 24:1 contention ratio product, no matter how big an "allowance" of bandwidth you purchase with it. (There'd be little point in charging more for a lower contention ration, because, at their current prices, most of their exchanges probably don't even have 24 users connected, so everyone gets a better than 24:1 contention ratio).

The proposed (it doesn't exist yet) "residential" ADSL package, at €54/month, will have a maximum contention ration of 50:1.

Advertisement