Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mediasat.ie B-dsl €216 pm.

Options
  • 16-02-2003 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm going to be needing more popcorn people!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

popcorn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

B-DSL SOHO PRICING(Small Office Home Office)

ONLY €49.99 per month

Bandwidth costs € 49.99 per month for 500 MB download

Bandwidth costs € 0.10 per MB thereafter.

USB Satellite Receiver Purchase € 290.00
    Satellite Dish, Universal LNB and installation of such not included.
    All prices shown are exclusive of V.A.T. @ 21%.

That's alot if I'm not mistaken. I'm only starting to look for a dsl connection, what's average for average joe surfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

adam, i think you've had enough pop corn the last couple of day to last ya a life time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Are these guys serious?

The pricing is ludicrious.

They are even more expensive than eircom per mb and the flat rate package is more expensive than eircoms 1meg dsl.

Im not sure how this compares to other satellite options, but it certainly is irrelevant to anyone within a dsl catchment area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

UNREAL! <--- not the game.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Dustaz
    The pricing is ludicrious.

...it certainly is irrelevant to anyone within a dsl catchment area.

I imagine they're gonna find that out pretty sharply :]

Maybe they're aiming to sell it to those rural areas where DSL availability will never be high. And neither will demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Dahamsta is gonna have a connery i just cant work out if its from all the popcorn the pish taking or just plain laughing at the prices :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Satellite Dish, Universal LNB and installation of such not included.
    All prices shown are exclusive of V.A.T. @ 21%

*shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Stonemason
    Dahamsta is gonna have a connery
    "Do you expect me to talk?"--James Bond (Sean Connery)
    "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."--Goldfinger (Gert Frobe)

That kinda Connery ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Originally posted by Igy
    *shudder*

well it is for businesses, so that's fine, no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Ya das is correct its slang for heart attack (coronary)throw in a poor scotish accent ala (pish) and your bang on target MISHTA Yellum :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Originally posted by parasite
    well it is for businesses, so that's fine, no ?

Well, its fine to quote the prices ex-VAT, but they're still very high.
    Very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What a rip off! You only get 500MB download a month! That is outrageous to charge so much for a crappy service like satellite internet.

Sheesh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I honestly think this thread should be given the 'BIN' Nothing will come of it. I mean if anyone falls for it, it would just prove that we are fresh blood for any 'leech' But we have been drained enough already don't you think?

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Is this a subsidiary of Eircom, setting the new guidelines for Irish Satellite? I expect a new raft of "competition" with undercutting @ €200 per month, and a 512MB monthly allowance.

Even Europe Online wasn't this bad!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I've been looking into this service, has anyone actually used it?

?216 pm, no setup, actually isn't bad in the Irish context.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    I've been looking into this service, has anyone actually used it?

?216 pm, no setup, actually isn't bad in the Irish context.

Are you taking the mick? €216 per month is criminal.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Normally I'd get all bent out of shape about this level of pimping but to be honest thats such a **** offer that I'm going to leave it here for amusement.

500Mb a month and then you have to pay after that?

Also, if they are sending the upstream via existing cable (dialup? ISDN?) then wouldnt you have to pay per minute anyway?

I think their advertising is a bit suspect too as they claim "lightening fast uploads" if I'm not mistaken.

DeV.

It is criminal, I agree. Unfortunately, it is at the moment the best offer I have been able to find.

Their SOHO offer actually does not have a cap, unlike some of the other products they offer. Basically I will pay no installation and 216 euros a month for 512kbps downstream and 128kbps upstream. The modem supplied is an Ethernet variant of the Gilat system that does not require any driver software.

The only alternative that I have seen is digiweb, where you pay 1495 euros installation and 119 euros per month. Worked out over a year, it's more expensive. Over two years, it's slightly less expensive. However the modem they supply is the cheaper model which will only work with Windows clients and can not be easily plugged into a LAN.

We're being ripped off. :mad:

• Advertisement

What I just said isn't quite correct, I've also checked out Orbitlink. The fair use policy on that is even worse however, the price is about the same at the end of the day, and it's USB only again, such that it can not be plugged into a LAN directly. It sickens me what I have to pay, but it seems that I do not have much of a choice.

Edit: It was last year that I had caled Orbitlink, so I called them again now. It seems that they now have a LAN version of it available that would cost 179 euros per month, 599 security deposit and 299 installation The upload and download speeds from what I've heard aren't as good as Gilat though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR some of you don't know how good you have it. Have to say its the cheapest I've seen also. Being in a poxy DSL catchment is no 'effing good if eircom can't give you a line that will work with DSL IS IT!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So for those of use who can't get DSL who work from home this is realistically the cheapest its going to get. We're being screwed by everyone as usual. What new about that for gods sake. Incidentally I'd even flat rate dialup would be a godsend. This sat DSL would actually work out almost as the same as my dialup costs.

The other sat DSL offers tie you in for 12months does this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭aliesneo

them prices are a joke!!!!

Originally posted by aliesneo
    them prices are a joke!!!!

For some of us its the only option and personally I'm not laughing. I think, this is my only option.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

you could buy a house with 2 other people and pay the same per month on the mortgage as that shower are asking for just to connect to the internet.

Incidentally they say you can fit a disk yourself if you like. Can you use a SKY disk or anything like that?

Originally posted by LFCFan
    you could buy a house with 2 other people and pay the same per month on the mortgage as that shower are asking for just to connect to the internet.

where can you get a house that you will only pay 400-500 mortgage? Not in Dublin unless you pay at least 70k upfront.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Incidentally they say you can fit a disk yourself if you like. Can you use a SKY disk or anything like that?

Not for the full two-way SOHO system, as it needs to be aimed very precisely. You don't really feel the pain of the installation fee however, as it all gets rolled into one (very high) monthly charge. I would never consider their download only system... The price is just too high on it considering what you are getting. At least on the two way system, you won't have any phone charges.

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    At least on the two way system, you won't have any phone charges.

I see, and for sure anyone like me who would consider a system like this that would be the important bit the phone charges. Since if I could get DSL I wouldn't be stuck on dialup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement