Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line resistance too high for ADSL

Options
  • 13-02-2003 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Want to order DSL from Eircom. Exchange is ok but they tested the line and now tell me that the resistance on the line is too high for adsl. As it works ok for voice and ok for ISDN they claim there is no fault so nothing to fix, yet by not fixing it I cant move to dsl.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

You could try waiting for Vdsl (it has a greater range, 6km odd apposed to 2.5km by Adsl. I know distance isn't the problem, but vdsl is more sensitive so maybe when its introduced (March supposedly) might be able to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by cherrio
    You could try waiting for Vdsl (it has a greater range, 6km odd apposed to 2.5km by Adsl. I know distance isn't the problem, but vdsl is more sensitive so maybe when its introduced (March supposedly) might be able to get it.
    That's not how VDSL works. It has much shorter range (as little as 1km depending on the variety), but the range is measured to the street cabinet rather than to the exchange. The teleco needs to run fiber or some other form of high capacity line to that street cabinet.

VDSL is not coming to Ireland. Not this March. Not next March. What you're thinking of is rate-adaptive ADSL. Apparently the current form of DSL that Eircom have deployed requires the line to sync at 1Mbit - even if you've only signed up for 512k. RADSL will tolerate a line that can only do 256kbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If they used **** metals for the wires, that could be the problem. Despite what you think not all phone lines are copper. Also the bigger the radius of the wire the less the resistance, shorter the wire the less resistance as well. All you need is an ohm meter to work out the resistivity of the telephone and compare it to what it should be for copper.

(resistivity is different to resistance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Funny thing is that of all places Vdsl could be made available quite easy in Dublin, but the chance it ever will be is small to none!
    Vdsl is extremely fast, faster than anything other broadband service and will not use carry internet data, but also voice and tv communication. Think of it as Optical Fibre directly to your house.

Advertisement