Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulldog intros 4Mbps DSL in UK

Options
  • 13-02-2003 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

From TheRegister.co.uk
    Bulldog Communications has unveiled a 4Mbps DSL broadband service for residential punters.

Called Primetime 4000, it costs £79.99 a month and is available at some 35 unbundled exchanges in central London.

Said Bulldog chief exec, Richard Greco: "Through the successful implementation of local loop unbundling in a competitive marketplace, the consumer can benefit from unique, differentiated product offerings like those Bulldog is introducing today."

Bulldog also announced it was cutting the price of its 1 Mbps product, Primetime 1000, from £34.99 to £29.99 per month.

And the price of its Alltime 500 - available at any DSL-enabled exchange in the UK - has now been cut to £24.99. ®

At roughly €130 a month, its 4 times faster than Errcoms service and €40 cheaper a month.. Will we ever see speeds/prices like this in the next few years???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Not with out the aid of a sturdy crowbar and a very large set of pliers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Not sure but is this the same as Eircoms 1mb option, When i connect it says im connected at 4.0Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

lol no. Maybe your computer is talking to the dsl modem at 4mbit? Like in the olden days with pc's talking to 14k4 modems at 56k.
    Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

That's an off peak service - you only get the 4Mbps after 6pm and on the weekends. It's still a good idea though as there's a big dip in bandwidth usage after all of the workers head home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

from £34.99 to £29.99 per month

Let me just emphasize and translate

From €52.35 to €44.89 per month!
    This is for 1Mb, how much was Eircon's new offering?

Damn it, if MS make me redundant I might just be looking for work in the UK ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Folks, Theres no point getting this upset every time a link from the uk is posted.

One thing we must remember is that the UK is almost 2 years ahead of us in terms of the incumbants attidude to broadband. If Eircoms price drop goes through, their service will be almost exactly what BT's was a year ago. Then we should start seeing better offeres from OLO's.

Also, do people need reminding again about how much bigger the market is in england which therefore allows quicker competition in the marketplace. I dont have the figures but im willing to bet that even though luxembourg or wherever has cheaper DSL than us, it takes a lot longer than the UK for market forces to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

I'd assume thou' that

"PRIMETIME" = off-peck only
    "ALLTIME" = proper DSL always on

Advertisement