Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling National League & Championship format - A joke!

Options
  • 12-02-2003 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

With the huge strides that football has made in the last few years. Hurling really needs a real shot in the arm.

IMHO I think one competition going from Mar to Oct is the only way. In a league format with knock out to follow.

Why?

- The provinsiol championships have been completely undermined by the back door system. The fact where one county wins its provincial trophy and possibly gets knocked out later one by the losers in laughable. If you explained this to a foreigher they would this is a joke.

- In the provinces we have
    One outright winner (galway)
    3 very weak teams playing off to get annually hammered by one of the stronger teams (ulster)
    Kilkenny pulling further away from the others in Leinster championship
    And all the other strong teams in one province (Munster)

Weaker counties such as the Ulster teams, laois etc. have not come on one bit in the last few years. I know Dublin beat Kilkenny last week, but come Championship does anyone really think they stand a chance against Kilkenny.

Hurling needs championship hurling as much as possible, where weaker teams at least have a chance of winning a few games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

TBH i think they should intorduce the same type of qualifier system that the football has. This still means provincial champions could be knocked out by teams that have already lost a game. I do think though that this would give the lesser counties more games and may produce a few counties like Westmeath Sligo and Limerick that have really thrived with the new system. It would also make Galway more competitive with more games under their belt coming into the business end of the Championship.The players do not really have the time to devote to a serious league system like you propose. They are already training five days a week as amateurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

"They are already training five days a week as amateurs."

Yeah, training 5 days a week to play 2 (meaningful) matches a year (See Cork, Galway etc.). Something not right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Excuse my ignorance but I thought as of last year the Hurling Championship had the same format as the Football championship??

If I'm wrong then correct me but if I'm not how can the hurling championship format be a farce and the gaelic one not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Yopu could be right about the format of last years championship Flyz. I thought it was still the old back door system to last season but I could well be wrong. Anyway I think that system works brilliantly in the football and will in the hurling too.

Advertisement