Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing sink/toilet etc for tiling

Options
  • 11-02-2003 10:58am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it difficult? I think it would be the best option as I need to tile the bathrooms. Would it just be a case of turning off the water supply, letting the taps run dry, and flushing til it's empty?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,283 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check if there is a valve between the storage tank (in attic) and the cistern (in bathroom). Alternatively if the cistern is staying on the wall "prop up" the bouy in the cistern (very carefully!!!! you don't want leaks). Keep some old newspapers handy in any case.

There should be bolts holding the WC bowl onto the floor, I get the impression these have a tendency to seize up over time.

If you end up breaking the bowl by accident, consider replacing it with a low volume flush model (many Irish WCs have an 11 litre flush compared to 6 litres in many other countries).

Tiling around the WC (and not behind / under) is a possible solution, but not ideal - if the WC is ever moved or replaced it may not cover the old tiles.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

one thing to bearr in mind is that the toilet bowl and sink will end up about 12mm higher than they were - and there may not be enough 'play' in the pipework to allow this.

Oh yes have some plastic sheeting and duct tape ready to cover the waste pipe from the WC! :)

Hmmm... More things to worry about! Thanks.

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Sounds like you're going to a lot of trouble just to tile a bathroom. Surely it would be easier to tile around the bathroom suite?

Seemingly some tilers can't be arsed to do it that way! Primadonnas! Hope the guy i get is ok...

Originally posted by PH01
    Sounds like you're going to a lot of trouble just to tile a bathroom. Surely it would be easier to tile around the bathroom suite?

As I said "Tiling around the WC (and not behind / under) is a possible solution, but not ideal - if the WC is ever moved or replaced it may not cover the old tiles."

Advertisement