Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Flashpoint

Options
  • 23-06-2001 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Released today. Anyone know what it's like on-line? Where are the servers etc.

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

The problem is, there are actually no servers, the game is peer to peer only until a patch in september, which is extremely dodgy, but we'll manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

No hurry to get it so smile.gif

Mills, your last post count while i was writing this was 1337

just thought i'd tell ya

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

Argh! And I've ruined it! /me goes off to delete a post or two smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

/m gets Op Flash today for £31.49 in Smyths in Glaway...only has 28.8 conneion tho, so no multiplay fora bit, til ISDN anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

I got it on Thursday (Me works in PCW so me gets games before release) and I have to say it 0wnz j00! Single play is bril but a tad hard at first. Multiplayer how ever for the time being is utter mank :/

• Advertisement

Class, game, haven't experienced the Multiplayer side of it yet, but i'll be in lanfest soon enough so i'll try it then smile.gif

Anyone hear when the dedicated server aptch/add-on is being released?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I have been playin the demo of this for weeks now , probably ruined my leaving cert because of it , study?.....nah a quick go on OP | Flash before i start.....only quick go means 4 hours of trying to get into bmp's t-72's , taking down copters with laws.......must get ...... must get soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

It looks like ****, runs slow, is VERY ropey in terms of physics/control/netcode. But is quite fun, we played it all night in DNC - 8 player skirmishes. I've had quite enough of lying down in billboarded foliage waiting for stuff to happen though. smile.gif

Teeth.

Ah, sorry, physics? STFU till you've actually spent time playing it and exploring the stuff in it. They've modeled the effect of scenery and terrain on the sound waves, they have massive areas filled with trees and loads of textures all over the place, its very scalable and its much more realistic compared with CS. The vehicle controls are very well thought out with the exception of teh Cobra, even though that was managable because you only have to either fly or shoot, you need not take on both. I haven't flown the A-10 yet and i'm interested in how that'll fair. So far this game kicks ass, though I can't play it online cos I'm stuck with crappy 31200bps and no hope of broadband this decade.
    Eircon - B A S T A R D S !

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

I love this game, been playing it on LAN for a while and its great fun. Online its quite laggy but still fun to play imo. No laggier than deltaforce3 etc which is also quite popular online (and hard on fps).

Its hard on fps alright but you tend to notice the framerate less than in other fps games, you dont exactly need a constant 85fps solid to play it properly. Its a sacrifce for the freedom of movement you get in the game.

You need to download gamespy arcade 1.08 to play it online, peer to peer.. plays very similar lagwise to games such as alien vs preditor. Hopefully the'll work on the netcode and dedicated servers as well which sould help clear up some of the laginess. In the mean time you could play the single player campain.

[This message has been edited by Spoonman (edited 24-06-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Ah, sorry, physics? STFU till you've actually spent time playing it and exploring the stuff in it.</font>

Don't be a rude ****. smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They've modeled the effect of scenery and terrain on the sound waves,</font>

"it does 3d sound".
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> they have massive areas filled with trees and loads of textures all over the place, its very scalable </font>

Eh what? they repeat the same 4-5 low-res billboards for bushes/trees for miles in every direction. They have a few low-res stretched textures for the ground, the buildings are simple models with poor texturing. "scalable" in this case means "low-res and uncomplicated so that we can have large levels".
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The vehicle controls are very well thought out with the exception of teh Cobra, even though that was managable because you only have to either fly or shoot, you need not take on both.</font>

big deal, you press forward or backward and move the mouse to drive, this is hardly revolutionary.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So far this game kicks ass, though I can't play it online cos I'm stuck with crappy 31200bps and no hope of broadband this decade.
    </font>

Pity they spent so much time on 'scalability' and 'realism' - and bugger-all time on fundemental technical issues like high-ping internet play. I mean 'peer to peer' what a ****ing joke. I stick with my assessment, it's fun but technically poor.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Just got it last Friday. Not too impressed to be honest. Played it all day Sat and Sun night, but went straight back to DF3. Still have to get a few controls worked out.

The leader guy in the campaign game is the most annoying f*cker I've ever come across.
    The best fun is the mock multiplayer. And even that doesn't come close to any of the Delta Forces.

Anyone played that sniper level from the quick start levels? I've no idea what to do. There are two lads with me who just stand there. Once I get to the base there are like 100 fellas waiting for me, and all I've got is a sniper rifle. What's going on? I'm supposed to kill three guys but how the hell am I supposed to know who they are?

Pah! I just want to kill everyone in sight smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I only played the demo, and though I enjoyed it, I certainly did have reservations about the game. My worst complaint was that I thought that the FOV in 1st person seemed too narrow. I had a lot of trouble feeling aware of my surroundings, especially in buildings. My unimpressive framerate didn't help either, but I can't really blame that on the game. I also found that in the demo mission, following orders exactly and being where you were supposed to be almost invariably got you killed. Not so good frown.gif

I'd have also liked to be able to control another soldier on my squad when I got killed, but I suppose with the character development in the game that wouldn't be possible.

I don't think I'll be buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

I'm I the only one who's actually spent time - just Driving the Tractor in the First level ??
    biggrin.gif
    I chased this one lad - down a field for ages before finally squashing his legs under my Big Grippy tyres.
    The Game is cool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I was playing this game in dnc with SpiraL and Cr8or and I have to say it was one of the most boring games I have ever played.
    Also the graphics were rubbish.

What is now was once only imagined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mikill:
    I'm I the only one who's actually spent time - just Driving the Tractor in the First level ??
    biggrin.gif
    </font>

Aw man you can get in that?!
    My squad drove off in the jeep without me and i was trying to rob that tractor to chase them smile.gif
    the farmer was ploughing the field and i was running behind him lobbing hand grenades at him.
    Then i blew up the tractor frown.gif

So i had to start walking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Jug-A-Lug

yea teeth had great fun watching me place mines around a truck only to then bazooka the truck and fill me full of bullets

I've played both DF3 and OpFlash and i deffinately prefer Opflash. If the graphics were all high-res super textured you think anything less thena monster pc would run it?
    if its looking abit poorly whackup allteh detail settings of which there are loads and see how she runs then.
    the game should be supported just for being that bit more ambitious compared to DF3, which is basiclly a carbon copy of the origional (which i have, finished and thought was too easy) with a few updated weapons and multi-player modes.
    0wned
    As for the netcode bohemia themselves said it's primarly a single player game and that they were origionallygoing to leave out the multiplayer bit. Thank god they didn't. More and more people are getting broadband (on a world scale, i exclude Ireland here for bloody obvious reasons), and they can cope with the data requirements.
    The dedicated server patch is coming out soon enough and i am more then content to play the game i bought, for i have been starved of some good solid single player gaming for quite a while.
    and as for that '3d sound' remark, its pants.
    just putting in flags for rear speakers is not on teh same scale as waht bohemia have done here. I ahve a EAX3 card and it sounds lovely, but ethe sounds are accurately modeled. when u fire a rocket at a mountain and it explodes it takes the right mount of time to comeback to you. something sorrowfully missed in some games recently. this game is a masterpiece.
    Look at Thief. no-one bought it and now ppl are bandwaggoning after its too late to save Looking Glass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

/me sets up a tractor race in the mission editer!
    FARMERS......START YOUR ENGINES!!!!!!!

Also the lighting effects look rather nice and atmospheric.

Don't stop movin to the S-club beat!!!!!

It's pretty easy until the mission where you start off in a forrest on your own, at which point it gets insanely hard smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yes im stuck there! I run across open ground and get cut to pieces.

yaaaay! I solved the mission! I commandeered(?) a vehicle and drove to freedom tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Ne1 else think its wierd the way you can drive vehicles directly past enemy soldiers and have them not shoot you ??
    (even in the Tractor biggrin.gif)

I only got one shot into the back window o' me Tractor when driving it at one stage.

smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

IMO, OFP is a cracker. Be warned though, avoid if you havent a big rig (1ghz + 256mb + 32mb AGP) at the minimum, along with a broadband connection for online play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

The demo ran fine on 1024x768 with everything set to maximum on my Duron 800 mhz , 128mb ram and a geforce 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Most reviews i have read on it lauded it for not slowing down on even poor systems.I know it didnt look great on my spec tnt2m64, p3 600 128 mb RAM ,but it ran well enough, I enjoyed it.I'm buying it soon as I get my Kyro 2 smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Yeah and it runs ok on my P3 600mhz with 128ram.

Don't stop movin to the S-club beat!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I like it I have to say. It annoyed me a bit early because I had no idea what was going on. Probably the idea. I was running along listening to the commander shouting orders going christ what number am I? Very confusing indeed. But some very cool things in it. I got my legs shot out from under me. '10 injured' I cried (ah thats what bleedin number I am) as I crawled along. Then I took a fatal headshot. The sneaky ******* who got me in the legs wasn't happy until he'd finished me off.
    Well I'll keep playing it but not until I've given ... Anachronox a good seeing too....

I've heard its really lots of RAM it needs.
    me spec: P3 800 100FSB, 128Megs PC100, 30GB UDMA-33 (game installed roughly halfway though which means the swap file is also slow), GF1 SDR 32meg + 6.5 det3, SBLive!.

Runs well enough but doesn't really matter waht resolution. Its teh cut-off point aht really decides my peformance, but ata certain point teh game becomes unplayable, so much is spent aiming at targets more tehn 100m away and if u can't see em ur dead. I'll be getting RAM soon anyways to cope with it as I love thsi game that much. the last game that made me upgrade was HL smile.gif

• Advertisement

Yep, get another 128 of RAM. Prices are ridiculously low at the moment and after upgrading my machine to 256, Flashpoint ran like a dream, e.g. the hard drive wasn't grinding itself into oblivion every couple of seconds.

Advertisement