Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishBroadBand and VAT overcharging

Options
  • 08-02-2003 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I have discovered that Irish Broadband want me to pay 21% VAT on my Installation fee. This is WRONG..
    They should be charging only 12.5% as it is a service as Irish Broadband own all the equipment they install in your house. They are therefore overcharging us for VAT as we aren't recieving a Product. Just a Service..

Has anyone else tried raising it with them?
    If you have payed 21% surely they owe their customers VAT, (Or atleast the equipment) :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

They should really be quoting VAT inclusive prices on their website for all residential services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

force the issue, your in the right!

Also, get in contact with ComReg with regards to their misleading pricing scheme.

Installation should be marked as €354.38 not €315

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    They are therefore overcharging us for VAT as we aren't recieving a Product. Just a Service..

Has anyone else tried raising it with them?
    If you have payed 21% surely they owe their customers VAT, (Or atleast the equipment) :)

If that's true, wouldn't it apply to all the DSL offerings too? They all clearly state 21% VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Here's a list (from the horse's mouth, i.e. Revenue) of VAT rates applicable to particular services.

Telephone service is 21%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by davros

Telephone service is 21%.

IBB don't provide a telephony service, do they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    IBB don't provide a telephony service, do they?

Its a Telecommunications service though. And we all know when in doubt when it comes to VAT it will always be the higher one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Has someone contacted them about this? It is in their interest to charge as little VAT as possible since it gets passed on to the State. Paying more VAT than necessary simply adds to their costs and pushes up the VAT inclusive retail price. If they were able to charge a lower VAT rate, then they could lower the retail price and sell more whilst retaining the same ex-VAT margins.

In any case, they should be quoting VAT inclusive pricing on their website. This is the convention for consumer services.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES 21.0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

the installation isnt a telecommunications service

it would be the same as an electrician coming out to install a new phone socket or something, which is a service which would be 13.5% ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by STaN
    the installation isnt a telecommunications service

it would be the same as an electrician coming out to install a new phone socket or something, which is a service which would be 13.5% ?
    It's a fair point. "Repairs" and "Plumbing" are both charged at 13.5% on that list.

How about querying it to your local Inspector of Taxes? There is a list of phone numbers here. Let us know the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

It's a fair point. "Repairs" and "Plumbing" are both charged at 13.5% on that list.

How about querying it to your local Inspector of Taxes? There is a list of phone numbers here. Let us know the answer.

Thats great
    Thanks for the help

One problem
    I haven't payed for the service yet. I will be however.
    It is more of a question or enquiry as to who has and are they aware or not...
    I would like to pay teh correct tax for the service not the product(for which there is none)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

Seems to me that the government could do its part to put broadband in every home by having the Minister of Finance announce a finding that VAT on telecommunications services is 13.5%. I don't think that kind of VAT concession has any support around the cabinet table.

Advertisement