Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance in Half-Life terrible while WorldCraft is open

Options
  • 04-07-2001 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

When I began playing about with worldcraft/hl, I could just compile the map and let WC execute halflife, but now, if worldcraft is open, the framerate in halflife is pathetic, whatever the resolution.

I have to close worldcraft, run halflife, close halflife, run worldcraft, open the map, set the zoom and position and all that, it's a real pain.

The same thing happens (only it's WORSE!) if I have the half life model viewer open, so I'm assuming it's something to do with another process accessing files that half-life needs (such as the pak file and textures)

Anyone know of a way to fix this?

(OS is Win2K pro)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It might be that WC uses OpenGL for its 3D view, and so does HL for its graphics. That said, HL runs just fine with WC running in the background for me.

(win2k pro SP2 + nvidia GeForce 2 GTS)

- Munch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Yeh,

HLModelViewer: This uses openGl and will lag your comp up very nicely when run with resource hungry applications.

WC: This also uses OpenGL for the 3dTextured Camera View.

This also leads to lag when ran with HL. You should compile using all options except "run after compile"

Then close WC, open HL. HL maps only take like 30secs to open anyway, as opposed to CS maps which take up to 2 mins.

DRAkE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

It shouldn't, I spent a small fortune on ram a while ago. 256 pc133 was £170 or something when I bought it, but now it's £60... argh.

The delay with loading OF maps is it stops to load something from the cd, which didn't happen a month ago or so when I had half-life cracked. (reinstalled recently)

Anyone know what the command for increasing the number of points the engine will draw? (for tracing the pointfiles)

Used to know, something along the lines of -points n.

(edited because I put "cs" instead of "OF" because I'm an awful eejit)

[This message has been edited by phaxx (edited 05-07-2001).]

You shouldn;t need the HL cd in the drive to run your map...run it normally thorough a LAN game.

I think thats what your after .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Halflife doesn't need the cd, but OF does, and it's a pain in the ar$e.

[This message has been edited by phaxx (edited 06-07-2001).]

• Advertisement

i can imagine :P

Advertisement