Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the story with Eircom ?

Options
  • 30-05-2001 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

What the heck is going on? Is Eircom selling their entire Company? or just a sector of it?
    It's all over the news, but what is actually for sale?

and much more importantly, what does this mean for the unbundling of the Eircom lines....

anyone got any ideas ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Eircom is selling what's left. They no longer own Eircell - it was sold to Vodaphone last month - and all the multimedia companies they had shareholdings in are gone bust. All that's left is fixed lines. What it means for LLU depends on who takes it over.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

oh right, so does that mean that Eircom, the company itself, will be no more ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No, it means it'll have a new owner. Whether is stays "Eircom" or not is up to that new owner, but I think it likely they would retain the brand considering the amount of money the current owners have ploughed into marketing it.

adam

If I was the new owner I would go for re nameing it!

They could always use a slogan of
    "________ putting right what Errorcom got wrong."
    :-)
    Best regards
    corkie.
    http://ireland.corkie.ws

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    No, it means it'll have a new owner. Whether is stays "Eircom" or not is up to that new owner, but I think it likely they would retain the brand considering the amount of money the current owners have ploughed into marketing it.

adam
    </font>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by corkie:

They could always use a slogan of
    "________ putting right what Errorcom got wrong."
    :-)
    </font>

... and then look forward to a nice hefty lawsuit from the company's previous owners tongue.gifsmile.gif

No... apart from the infrastructural expense (changing all the phone boxes, etc.), I doubt any new owner would be as foolish as to get rid of such a strong brand, which is seriously one of the best known corporate names and symbols in Ireland, both north and south.

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 31-05-2001).]

• Advertisement

ah !!, I understand now, thanks!

Lets hope the new Owners of the company are a little bit more enthusiastic towards the unbundling process !...

well if Denis O'Brien takes over Eircom, he did introduce SNL when he was w/ Esat !!

This perhaps is a good omen !?

My advice to anyone reading this is to not hold your breath for want to obviate lasting brain damage- In my opinion he is a bit of a cowboy who has never actually chairmaned a profitable Company.
    frown.gif
    80p.

80project.com

Advertisement