Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Available and Future Broadband Availability in ireland ....

Options
  • 27-05-2001 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya ppl,

I'm new here, so I'm just saying 'ello wink.gif !

By the way, I've accumulated some info over the last few weeks about broadband services in ireland (mainly dublin). This is what I've found:

http://register.esatfusion.ie/adsl/index.html
    ADSL to be offered soon by Esat. (although I was talking to an Eircom representitive last week and he said it would be another year untill Eircom would offer ADSL, and as you know, Eircom own the phone lines frown.gif )

http://www.web-sat.com/
    Wireless Internet access via satellite. YOu get upto 2Mb/s download speed and 64Kb/s Upload. This is to be offered in late july/august to irish customers.

Chorus
    Powernet is available in south dublin NOW, and is equilivent to a cable modem (512Kb/s Download). It is to be offerend to North Dublin in July/August (upto 20KM radius from 3RockMountain)

NTL
    Offering broadband to Tallaght and Collock. There is a Financial restructuring of the company at the moment, but will be offereing Cable modem service to high demand areas first, although it could be upto the beginning of next year until they continue upgrading frown.gif

http://www.norcontel.ie/ndpcomms/
    As far as I know, the goverment is installing a High Speed Fiber Optic network over Ireland and will connect this network to the Internet BackBone for fast access. Then this national network will be open to companies (ISP's) to offer this service to customers. But it could be until mid 2002 until the installation of the network is finished, but this network is very promising, as the goverment is giving a lot of money to it, and its not "if" the network is being built, its "when" it will be finished as it is being built as we speak biggrin.gif !!

I think thats all the info I have at the moment. Anyone else have more info ?

later,
    ando

animation2.gif Best country in the world animation2.gif

[This message has been edited by ando (edited 27-05-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I asked Chorus where the service for South Dublin was since I had been told in February this....

Hi David,

Powernet will be released to the Southside of Dublin at the end of April. The have not confirmed the release date for anywhere on the Northside yet I'm afraid. With regard to any further queries on this service, can you forward any e-mails to the Chorus mailbox at: info@chorus.ie

I got heavy with them and they came back with this on the 16th of May.....

Hi David,
    Thanks for your e-mail.Unfortunately we are awaiting a release date for
    Powernet in the Dublin area.We are hoping that it will be within a few
    months.Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Regards,
    Chorus

I told them that I felt this was a joke of a reply and they replied with the following:

Hi David,
    Thanks for your e-mail.The quadrant for Southside Dublin has not been opened yet.
    I can appreciate where you are coming from and I know that it is hard to be patient.The quadrant has to be officially opened and it will be released through media coverage.Unfortunately we won't be notified of a release date until it is officially released.
    Apologies,
    Chorus.

This is a complete joke, and from what I hear about their ability to handle themselves with their TV offerings, it would appear that they are somewhat incapable.

Dave.

"Web-Sat" sounds really interesting. One I'll be watching out for. Hopefully, It'll be for the internet as SKY is for TV... global, and cheap for what you're getting.
    Thanks for the info.

Broadband in Ireland is dead... at least for the foreseeable future. By the time the little "Chiefs" get it together, Ireland will have been relegated to the communications "stone Age".

Satellite is no good to you in the country at the mo cos it all comes back to the phoneline problem.
    the Satellite at the mo is only 1 way I think so that means u still need an internet connection via phoneline to send data/upload and that's useless to u since you'll end up paying Eircoms LOVELY phone prices that send the bill sky rocketing to 100's of £££ smile.gif
    so unless the satellite connection is 2way, it's no good to you here,yet.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vorrtexx:
    Satellite is no good to you in the country at the mo cos it all comes back to the phoneline problem.</font>

Why do you say this ? If your interst in mainly in downloading... ie...surfing and downloading files et al. then surely satellite is a real alternative ?

Vorrtexx,
    According to the "Web-Sat" brochure, it's a two way, complete with dish, "NIC", etc. The "ISP(s)" could be in any part of Europe. Here's hopin'.

What's available in this country at the mo, for sat connections, is the dumbest thing I've even heard.

There's only two options available for "Joe Public"... 56K, or "superfast ISDN". Both are way too expensive. ISDN is a joke... not to mention that it's yesterday's technology. Go figure.

Appreciate the info tho'.

• Advertisement

I'm having trouble expressing my annoyance at these answers from Chorus.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

Unfortunately we won't be notified of a release date until it is officially released.
    </font>
    ?!?!?!?!?!

I would send this to the MD of Chorus with a recommendation that they employ a new PR company/marketing dept.

These replies seem to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the function of public relations which is that you represent the company not the PR company/department.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vorrtexx:
    Satellite is no good to you in the country at the mo cos it all comes back to the phoneline problem.
    the Satellite at the mo is only 1 way I think so that means u still need an internet connection via phoneline to send data/upload and that's useless to u since you'll end up paying Eircoms LOVELY phone prices that send the bill sky rocketing to 100's of £££ smile.gif
    so unless the satellite connection is 2way, it's no good to you here,yet.

</font>

Hi vorrtexx,

I was emailed by Websat and they said It is a 2 way system and does not use the telephone lines at all.
    Download speeds of 2Mb/s and upload of 64Kb/s are predicted ......

The only thing that is not released yet is the prices they will be charging !!!!! LOL

They said that they will be releasing their prices in June !

I hope it won't be that expensive as this form of broadband is my main hope at the moment !!

by the way, Dave, thanks for that info about your incidents with chorus ...
    I did'nt know about the trouble that chorus were causing frown.gif !
    I originally taught Powernet was already available to south dublin

also, anyone wanting ISDN from eircom, I know your all goin to kill me for saying this, but it really aint that bad !!
    I work in IT and come across ISDN every day in different offices all over Dublin and I have to say, it really is pretty damn fast, but expensive although !!

UTV Internet are also promising that they'll have a SNL-alike "as soon as possible".

I hope they're not waiting for some sort of interconnect deal from Eircom...

http://iiu.taint.org/pipermail/iiu/2001-April/001621.html

[This message has been edited by mbf (edited 28-05-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mbf:
    UTV Internet are also promising that they'll have a SNL-alike "as soon as possible".

http://iiu.taint.org/pipermail/iiu/2001-April/001621.html</font>

nice 1 mbf !!
    This just might be an altenative to IOL NOlimits if it is introduced soon !!

[This message has been edited by ando (edited 28-05-2001).]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mbf:
    </font>
    I would expect they are waiting for a deal from Eircom otherwise they would be making the same mistake as Esat with all the bad publicity that goes with it. They currently offer flat rate in the North but not here, for that reason.

Hi Joe.

Here's some info about the Chorus setup

Residential

High speed modem Installation 		IRP 150.00 inc. VAT
    Monthly Rental				IRP 40.00 inc. VAT
    Monthly Flat rate Download limit 	3Gb
    Volume charge above limit		2p per MB

Subject to a min. twelve month contract

Option of self install or using a recommended IT install company
    Payable directly to the authorised IT install company

Software Install				IRP 48.00 inc. VAT
    Software/ Ethernet card Install	IRP 99.00 inc. VAT (to include a specified d-link ethernet card) 
    Software/ USB to Ethernet adapter	IRP TBA

NB Above amounts are payable COD directly to authorized install partner

Business Services

High speed modem installation		IRP 299.00 exc. VAT

Single PC connection
    Monthly rental				IRP 79.00 exc. VAT
    Monthly Flat rate Download limit 	6Gb
    Volume charge above limit		2p per MB

Network LAN connection 

Customer must have less than 20 computers on the network.

Zyxel 312 Broadband IP router		TBA
    Monthly rental				IRP 150.00 exc. VAT
    Flat rate download limit			10Gb
    Volume charge above limit		1p per MB

Subject to a min. twelve-month contract

As you can see, I think it's a ripoff and you don't exactly get to download much (yeah 3GB may seem like alot but if you're on a fast connection u tend to get more than a 56k modem)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I love the way it's double the price to install in a business. Effin' chancers.

Well, so far I only see Web-Sat, and UTV internet (nice one mfb), as possible alternatives to the what available today.

The "loop" should never have been sold off by the state. :/

(hehe... I'm sick of lag shootin')

anyone know wot kinda PING u get when playing online games with the Chorus Powernet Wireless service its 512k of bandwidth but wots the lag like ??

Advertisement