Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Clareman's view

Options
  • 26-05-2001 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

As one of the 2000 Cast Out Souls I want to thank the people who attended the inaugural meeting on 13th May to form a committee and set up this website.

No doubt they are giving of their time and effort freely and should be supported to the hilt.

I have only just found this website and am looking forward to visiting it daily.

I wrote to the ODTR to complain about cutting me off and and the reply stated "On this occasion the termination of your contract is not a legislative issue rather than one of contractual law ..."In the Terms and Conditions which all customers must consent to in order to avail of the NoLimits service, there is a clause, which stipulates that either party can terminate the agreement given thirty days notice."

Obviously Esat is finding the No Limits as it stands unviable. If they were to push it back into profitability it would be interesting to know what increase on our monthly bills would be needed.

It was great to read the report in The Times but I feel the best way to get the Government moving on this is if we can get the opposition parties in the Dail on our side.

Regards, Bannerman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i would agree with most of what's said there....however it could be argued that Esat terminating customers accounts is not in keeping with the SPIRIT of either their contract or the service as initally advertiesd, the basis for this is that they offered a reason i.e. excessive use as the reason for termination, at the very least this is morally wrong if not illegal.
    I too wrote to all the various regulatory and statutary bodies....of which i only got a reply from the ODTR who said they'd look into the matter.
    I was wondering are there any bodies in Europe that could be lobbied, i think it's a good idea to lobby the politicians of all parties though.....as i hear them bleating about Ireland being an E-Commerce Hub of Europe etc. What a joke!
    In the end Esat will prevail I think, they gave this service on the understanding that the Local Loop Unbundling would have happened by now and then would be in a position to offer better services to their big user base which they achieved by the SNL scheme,it was a market share strategy that didn't work out. i would imagine that they'd need an increase in the monthly bill that would be prohibitive in the extreme. Whoever was responsible for handling their PR and the famous letter should never be allowed to hold a job in that area again as it's quite obvious that no thought was put into it whatsoever, but then again it seems to be the same with most of the telecoms companies, they tend to have scant regard for their customers, maybe it's time to demand a proper telecoms industry in this country rather than settle for what we've had up to now!
    So i would say that the politicians and the media are the prime targets in the campaign to get a deceant service in Ireland, the Celtic Tiger etc. in the 21st Centuary.

good luck!...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fionn:
    So i would say that the politicians and the media are the prime targets in the campaign </font>

Both are very much in our target area smile.gif

But don't forget that it's not just down to the committee, if 2000 people contacted their TD's that could create quite a stir!

[This message has been edited by o_donnel_abu (edited 26-05-2001).]

I for one have already been in contact with 3 local politicians here in the west. They have said the usual "I will look into it." I'll not be standing on my head waiting for their answers but stranger things have happened.

Here's what the politicians are doing:

Sunday Independent
    Microsoft may join the bidding war for Eircom

"Senior department officials are understood to have approached the software giants to consider using the Irish phone market as a testing ground for broadband digital services."

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ti=41&ca=35&si=441763&issue_id=4554

This, of course, is realy just an attempt to boost the share price of Eircom. But it does indicate that the Government want to be seen to be "doing something" about the broadband situation in the country.

yep....i'm a 100% in agreement there with you.
    I'll be doing my bit during the week....not only me but anyone i know that owns a computer and has a net connection, there must be thousands and thousands out there that are paying for a very poor service, whether they use it for more than 75 hours a month or not. So i will be encouraging others to do the same. It's time we got this moving......right?..

[This message has been edited by o_donnel_abu (edited 26-05-2001).][/B][/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fionn:

[This message has been edited by o_donnel_abu (edited 26-05-2001).]
    </font>
    Technical glitch here, Fionn, I did not edit your message smile.gif

Advertisement