Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless offering from Chorus (Powernet) ?

Options
  • 25-05-2001 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to a sales droid from Chorus
    several months ago and she sweared that
    they had a wireless broadband network
    operating in Limerick and Dublin offering
    an always-on connection for something
    like 50IRP/month. I think its called Powernet.

I never followed this up. I suspect she
    was lying (or someone was lying to her)...

Does anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's up and running in Limerick, I'm not sure about Dublin. Cork has been postponed because (allegedly) of a fire in Limerick. Do a search on the Technology forums for "powernet" and you'll turn up some information. They also have some information on their own website (www.chorus.ie), but it's predictably vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've made enquires about Powernet.

It's based on a line-of-sight system. They install a small dish on the roof/chimney and the data goes out/in through there. You have a co-ax cable from there to a high-speed modem and then from that into your network card.

I've been told that it's running in Limerick city at the mo - I'm in the suburbs of Limerick, but I'm not sure if I can get it or not. I'm gonna try this week, 'cos my SNL dies on Thursday... frown.gif((

Advertisement