Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY

Options
  • 25-04-2001 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember when Sky first started? Wasn't it terrible!!
    i can remember when it first started on Cablelink when i was living in Dublin, i dont think I watched more than once a week!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I remeber when Sky firs started. Our whole family stayed in to watch it start and the first program on was Hogans Heroes. It was great for recycling old sitcoms lite Threes Company and The Flying Nun.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I remember when the old (pre-DBS) Sky Channel started on Cablelink (just renamed from RTE Relays at the time), although since my Phillips TV only had six presets at the time we had to de-tune one of the channels (BBC2 got the temporary chop as it was least watched in my house at the time). Sometimes I would retune and see some of the other channels that joined Cablelink - The Children's Channel, Lifestyle, Screensport, being the main ones.

Sky itself had mainly Dutch made programmes - I remember especially the DJ Kat Show! Then in 1989 they went on Astra. There was a day between the close of the old service and the launch of the new channel (same name, slightly differnet logo). Candid Camera (the US version) was the first new programme I remember (Mondays at 8pm) and also WWF started on Sky (Fri 8pm) around this time - it would never be in prime time now! A year later, Sky Channel changed name to Sky One, with no publicity other than a trailer "We're the One, we're Britain's number one..." Forgot about Ireland too...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A bit fooloish to forget Ireland,since at the very beginning Dubliners probably made up a huge amount of viewers as it was already cabled.
    "It would nevr be in prime time now"
    Its a wonder its not.Sky must roll in millions from persuasive boys of 8-12 begging their dads to get Sky Sports for the live wrestling and pleading with them to shelve out a tenner for the regular wrestling events on PPV.I would think nowadays wrestling is a big moneymaker for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

I recall the very skathing attitude of some BBC journalists towards the very idea of Satellite broadcasting, they laughed at Sky.They're not laughing now as Sky broadcast Ultra HD , 4 k, last nights BBC drama had the worst pictures I have seen in years.The West Wing, repeated on Sky has much superior quality 16mm Film East man colour 16/9, some 18 years old?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nostalgia is all well and good, but fifteen years must be a record for dragging up an old thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement