Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there too many soaps on Irish TV?

Options
  • 28-04-2001 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I believe there are too many soaps dominating our schedules.
    On RTE there's Home And Away, A Country Practice, Crossroads, Shortland Street, Neighbours, Eastenders, Fair City, Glenroe etc...

On TV3 there's Family Affairs, The Young And The Restless, Sunset Beach, Emmerdale, Coronation Street etc...

And the list goes on
    Everyone is not a fan of soaps but are dominating prime time scheduling.

Do you agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The thing about TV is that soaps attract a mass audience. Every mainstream channel (almost) has its own soap. I'm not a soap fan, but they are obviously important in this ratings-driven world.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

And ITV seems to be full of them these days - and now they're adding another one "Night and Day" which sounds like its going to be a US-style competly unbeliveable soap...("Twin Peaks" meets "Ally McBeal"????)

Is that the actual name for "Trafalgar Square"?

We don't need any more soaps! We do, however, need a new series of Doctor Who. But that's just my gripe.

Does any1 actually watch Fair City?RTE claim to get around 600,000 viewers an episode.I dont no of 1 person who watches it.

600,000?
    Much be those infamous TAM ratings!
    So 6 people who have those boxes are watching which is wonderfully multiplied by 100,000 to give such a mad figure!
    Anyone here ever had or knows someone who has a box? If I had one I would do so much messing, hey the bill would be no.1 !

• Advertisement

Theres a boy in my school who has 1 in his house.He described it once in class.From what i remember it seemed quite complicated,with u having to enter some kinda pin numbers or something.I would think it very unreliable though.If 1 of these ppl are watching something on rte at about hlaf three in the mornin i doubt 100,000 others are.

You can do a fair bit with statistical analysis - it isn't as simple as multiplying the number by something. The also stop people in the street and ask them what they watch, apparently.

I remember seeing once in the Radio Times that "Newsroom SouthEast" was the 9th most watched program on BBC ONE that week. Really? Or was it that it was the combination of the Regional programmes together, and the listings they used as the base were the SE ones?

Which leads to the question - what happens to programmes which are time-shifted in "The Nations"? Are they dealt with correctly?

Family Affairs and Sunset Beach are brilliant. Do you agree?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by edmund:
    Family Affairs and Sunset Beach are brilliant. Do you agree?</font>

Well, I'm sure Sunset Beach is shown to actors-in-training as an example of how NOT to act. Or how to completely overact...

Actually, while it doesn't work very well as a soap, its a very good comedy...

Advertisement