Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish DTT plan... have they thought it through?

Options
  • 01-07-2001 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking at Richard Logue's pages for DTT in the Irish Republic. Obviously a high powered network would have many advantages. But by looking at it I think that the planners may not have thought of some things to happen. I remember when the frequency plan for the DTT system in the UK was being put in place, a guy from London told me that Brougher Mountain was going to use channels 23,26,29 & 33 and I said to him that it would cause problems for viewers locally who get their RTE signals from Holywell Hill. Naturally the person at the other end of the line didn't know what I was on about, but mayhem ensured and the launch of DTT from Brougher was delayed by a year when there were complaints from the original test transmissions that the RTE pictures were being lost. The majority of RTE viewers locally had to get their services from Truskmore or Carin Hill before DTT was finally put on again from Brougher.

Just looking at the list I wonder if the following scenarios could possibly take place...

Kippure - Interference to viewers in the Midlands who get UK services from Brougher Mt.

Mt.Leinster - Interference to RTE1 & Network 2 from Three Rock

Truskmore - Interference to viewers of the Limavady transmitter, not to mention ch48 also giving problems to the DTT service on the same frequency from Divis.

Clermont Carn - Interfering with DTT from Brougher Mt. on channels 30 & 34 and Divis on 34

Moville - viewers on the North Coast will probably have to have their videos retuned in a similar way to that when Channel 5 had to retune videos across the UK.

Holywell Hill - now 500 watts from Brougher Mountain was enough to cause problems for RTE viewers in Tyrone who used Holywell Hill. Now 6 KW of DTT from Holywell Hill could end up causing problems for viewers of Brougher who live on the Northern fringes of the target service area, not to mention possible interference to DTT channels 30 & 34 from Brougher. Did they not learn of these two transmitters casuing trouble to each other?

All I'm thinking is that a lot of testing will have to take place to cure a lot of headaches, or we could see a "Brougher vs. Holwell" airwave fight happen across the country and hold up DTT in Ireland even more.

*** I could have been you if I wanted to..... but I never got the time! ***

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

ATTN:

Thread moved to the digital terrestrial forum (from Irish Television).

Advertisement