Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky satellite dishes face planning permission hitch........

• 23-07-2001 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just in case no one read that wonderful paper 'the indo' today or just in case no one reported this already. Have a read......

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=184&si=478978&issue_id=4926

THE campaign by satellite group BSkyB to win customers in the Republic has thrown up a planning dilemma for householders and the dishes required.

To receive a signal, customers must point their dishes to face east, but if consumers place the devices on the front of their homes, they must receive planning permission.

Analysts suggest 100,000 people have signed up for Sky's services in the 26 counties. BSkyB is advertising heavily in newspapers to attract new customers.

Industry sources suggest the British-based company perceives an opportunity in the Irish market as cable groups NTL and Chorus are beginning to roll out their digital services. A spokesman for Dublin Corporation said: "If a dish is on the front of a house without planning permission, we will initiate legal action and issue a warning letter requesting the owner to remove the dish. "We have had a small number of complaints, 20 or so, and we took action on them all."

One of the difficulties facing householders who erect satellite dishes without permission is they would be unable to sell their homes until they get planning approval.

The corporation spokesman said the customer would have to apply for retention before they sell the property.

He added without planning approval it would be "an unauthorised development and no solicitor or building society would give a mortgage for such a property."

Householders do not need planning approval if they wish to erect dishes on the side or rear of their homes.

Receiving permission takes a minimum of three months, but can take up to nine months if there are any objections.

Householders must also place advertisements in newspapers and put notices on their homes showing they are seeking permission.

One planning source told the Irish Independent that BSkyB should be obliged to point out in their advertisements that customers may need planning permission.

A spokesman for BSkyB said: "If a householder is unsure, they should talk to their local authority."

He added the company was pleased with the take-up rate in the Irish market following the recent marketing campaign, but declined to give figures for how many customers had bought the service.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i thought the law had not changed.
    (ie) you only have to get planning permission for a second dish, as was pointed out to me by a *****y neighbour so i put the dish on a tripod on the ground.
    sorted.

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

Don't the "Indo" have a stake in Chorus. Hmmmm.

I think it's a secret ploy by the independent trying to scare people into taking Chorus Digital - if it is ever rolled out properly!!.

I have 2 dishes - did not know you needed planning permission but do now (thanks). Luckily no one has complained yet!! *we'll keep this quiet* If something does happen in the future I'll take your advice chernobyl and get a tripod and bobs your uncle!

Somebody will probably prove me wrong, but - as far as I am aware the law works like this......
    You do not need to get planning permission for you house to erect a dish as long as it is under 30 meters in height, this is certainly the first time I've heard of there being a different rule for a dish being placed on the front as opposed to the side or back of a house. The only other issue is if the building is a listed building (in which case you would be more likely to get a compliant about it......)

For some reason todays Independant has \ huge UK aimed sky ad withg a sky installation number.The irish 1s in the small print.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spanner_head:
    To receive a signal, customers must point their dishes to face east.....</font>

Don't all dishes point South? (just off due south to the east, but only slightly) Poor research, if you ask me... But did I expect anthing less from the Indo? No.....

Damo.

[This message has been edited by DamoDMC (edited 24-07-2001).]

Dishes point 28° East of South. My dish is on the front of my house and I didn't even consider planning permission for a dish. With a 3mth waiting time if you're lucky, you must be joking!! smile.gif

Am now considering another dish for Astra or Hotbird smile.gif Should I tell the local Council? I think not!

WILL D

planning permission for more than 1 dish. strange that as a council person was at my house 1 day and said nothing. dish number 3 goes up tomorrow. luckily all the signals i want to pick up can be done at the back of the house. the front would look messed up with 3 dishes

whats your set-up mossy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">One of the difficulties facing householders who erect satellite dishes without permission is they would be unable to sell their homes until they get planning approval. </font>

This is the biggest pile of $hite I've ever heard, who wrote that article? Has it ever crossed their mind that maybe a person 'trying' to sell their house might just remove the dish first rather than trying to get planning permission for it??? What kind of f*ckin eejits write this cr@p?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Just to add a bit more cause this is freakin me out:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The corporation spokesman said the customer would have to apply for retention before they sell the property.</font>

Emm no the customer could just remove their dish before selling their property which he/she probably would do if they were moving house anyway!
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">He added without planning approval it would be "an unauthorised development and no solicitor or building society would give a mortgage for such a property."</font>

I didn't know solicitors gave mortgages for a start. A solicitor will only recommend that you don't buy a property that has extentions etc that have no planning, I hardly think a removable dish will stop anyone from buying a house. This really sounds like some Indo propaganda to me with maybe some typical Dublin corporation bull$hit thrown in. Their trying to scare people thats all.

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown have a local bylaw prohibiting a dish on the front of the house (think most councils have now) & insist its written into contracts of new houses - a neighbour has already received a written warning from the council.

I agree with Blade 100%, this has got to be a joke.......could you imagine them trying to get thousands of people (a lot of people have to have the dish on the front of the house...) to remove their dishes, I don't think so.......
    If you have a detached or semi-detached house and have the dish on the side it looks the very same as it does on the front, mine is on the chimney breast and I think it's a grand spot to have it....

I also think that the idea of getting a retention order is so that you don't have to remove the dish while you await planning permission to come through......
    I'm sure if you talked to 100 officials from the corpo/council you'd get 100 different answers - and that most of them wouldn't even know what you were talking about......

Is planning permission required for MMDS AERIALS (which is a 'dish' of sorts after all)_ AND CHORUS (WIRELESS) PHONE SERVICE aerials??? These can be on fairly high poles, and would be a lot more obvious than Sky ones.

our chorus analogue dish is bigger than the mini dish and much higher but the chorus digi dish is tiny but is in the shed as chorus service sux.

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NIBBS:
    I agree with Blade 100%, this has got to be a joke.......could you imagine them trying to get thousands of people (a lot of people have to have the dish on the front of the house...) to remove their dishes, I don't think so.......</font>

/me is offering a site for a mobile phone mast in the gardan then.
    Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 26-07-2001).]

Advertisement