Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second digibox

• 27-06-2001 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am considering getting a second digibox for the house. From what I have read on various forums the only technical issue with this is swapping my current LNB for a quad one. Would any any of the installers here (Tony or Irishblimp) know if installers would have these or do they have to be ordered specially.

Also I think the forthcoming Sky+ needs a quad LNB. If so is there such a thing as a six-way LNB to feed one regular digibox and one Sky+ box?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ShaneOC:
    I am considering getting a second digibox for the house. From what I have read on various forums the only technical issue with this is swapping my current LNB for a quad one. Would any any of the installers here (Tony or Irishblimp) know if installers would have these or do they have to be ordered specially.

Hi Shane, for two digital receivers you need a twin lnb, a quad is required for the new receivers beacause they may need to record one polarity while watching another although even the current quads will not suit this purpose as they provide four different type of output. A twin per receiver is the only current solution. I hope this helps

Also I think the forthcoming Sky+ needs a quad LNB. If so is there such a thing as a six-way LNB to feed one regular digibox and one Sky+ box?

</font>

Thanks Tony. Would most installers be able to get their hands on these twin LNBs?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ShaneOC:
    Thanks Tony. Would most installers be able to get their hands on these twin LNBs?</font>

I would be happy to sell you one :-)most guys shoul be able to get them

How much are these twin LNB's ???

I think Tony has answered your question.
    Tony - I'm not very well informed about Sky+ so I was wondering if it were possible to watch one satellite channel on main tv and another sat chan on another TV via RF2 or something seeing as it is possible to record 1 chan and watch another??

WILL

• Advertisement

Here's a copy of the text of the latest Sky+ press release. Unfortunately it doesn't state for certain that you can watch two channels on two different TVs. It also doesn't give any info re availabilty in ROI, but I'm sure all will be revealed soon -

British Sky Broadcasting is lifting the lid on SkyPlus, Europe's first fully integrated Personal Television Recorder and Service [iPTR].

SkyPlus combines all the benefits of Sky digital with advanced PTR functions and delivers a whole new level of control to television viewing, including the ability to record one digital satellite programme while watching another, pause live TV and record episodes of favourite series - all without the need for videotapes.

SkyPlus will initially be marketed to Sky digital's 5.4 million existing customers. A double-page feature in the July issue of Sky's customer magazine, which outlines the benefits of the product, is being distributed to homes. It gives customers the opportunity to register via a special hotline to ensure they are among the first in line when this much-anticipated product becomes available.

Meanwhile, an integrated marketing campaign, combining direct mail, advertising, radio promotion and print media, will break later this summer alongside a retailer education programme, at which time the pricing of the product and service will be unveiled.

SkyPlus pushes the boundaries of personal TV with its power and simplicity.

The power derives from the combination of advanced PTR functionality - including the much requested capability to record one satellite programme while watching another - with those benefits already available to all Sky digital customers - including the widest channel choice, interactive and enhanced TV services such as email, banking, games, local information and home shopping.

SkyPlus uses a hard disk to record from the original broadcast stream, meaning all recordings will be the same digital quality as live viewing, and will offer an average of 20 hours worth of recording space.

The simplicity comes from the incredible ease of use of these features, primarily through full integration of the PTR functionality within Sky Guide, the on-screen electronic programme guide.

With SkyPlus viewers need never miss their favourite programmes again. Key features include:

1. The ability to record one satellite programme while watching another
    2. Being able to automatically record your favourite programmes
    3. Single-button recording
    4. Series Link: which links episodes from a series for automatic recording
    5. Pausing live TV: freezing and recording on-screen action for remaining duration of the programme
    Recording without videotape
    6. Original digital broadcast signal recording
    7. an average of 20 hours worth of recording space available [which varies depending on the programmes recorded]
    8. Dolby Digital 5.1 compatibility
    9. Easy navigation: full integration with Sky Guide including the recently introduced Personal Planner
    10. Easy set-up: new channels are added automatically
    11. Accommodates time changes in programming schedules

Richard Freudenstein, Sky's Chief Operating Officer, commented: "Sky pioneered digital television in the UK nearly three years ago with the launch of Sky digital; SkyPlus is the latest step in this revolution. We are always working to bring our customers the best digital entertainment experience. With Sky+ we are giving viewers a whole new level of control over their television viewing."

Mr Freudenstein also confirmed that SkyPlus would complement Sky's existing offer of the free digibox.

Details of the specifications and functionality provided by SkyPlus: Record One Satellite Programme While Watching Another - Twin digital tuners enable viewers to record one programme while watching another. Viewers can also play back a pre-recorded programme while at the same time recording another show.

Record Episodes From a Series - "Series Link" enables automatic recording of episodes within a particular series.

Pause Live TV - Freezes and records on-screen action for remaining duration of the programme, regardless of whether it's two minutes or two hours.
    Ability to jump from paused TV to live TV using the "Sky" button on the SkyPlus remote control - Despite having paused the action, viewers can still schedule other programmes for recording using the "Search & Scan" banner
    Full transport functionality on "Paused" material [Fast-Forward/Rewind]
    On-screen status icon gives time difference between live TV and paused TV.

Records without videotape - Single-button recording means viewers no longer need to scramble for a blank tape or remember how to set the timer.
    It's easy to find the start of each pre-recorded programme and begin playback.
    No need to rewind or fast-forward videotapes.
    Records an average of 20 hours' worth of material.
    SkyPlus clearly shows how much recording time viewers have already used and how much they have left [with "Automatic", "Warning" and "Manual" modes for programme management]
    Because SkyPlus records the original digital broadcast signal, programmes with more action on screen, such as movies or sport, will require more disk space than those such as news or chat shows.
    SkyPlus allows viewers to "bookmark" within recordings for easy navigation to their favourite segments.

Full integration with Sky Guide - SkyPlus is fully integrated with Sky Guide which means it copes with time changes in programme schedules. New channels and services are also added automatically.

Dolby Digital Compatibility - SkyPlus is compatible with Dolby Digital 5.1 [viewers should connect SkyPlus to a multichannel amplifier with Dolby digital decoding via the Optical Digital Output].

Archive selected programmes to VCR. - Selected programmes can be archived onto VCR if disk space is full.

Technical specification
    Integrated 40 GB hard disk drive
    Twin digital tuners utilising two feeds from a quad LNB on existing minidish
    Two RF outputs (one supporting tvLINK)
    TV & VCR SCART outputs
    S-Video output
    Optical Digital audio output
    Left/Right analogue audio outputs
    V90 Modem
    New Sky+ remote control

Distribution & Installation
    SkyPlus will be available from Sky's existing electrical retail partners or by calling Sky directly on 08705 800 800
    A monthly finance option will be available for those purchasing the SkyPlus STB directly from Sky
    SkyPlus will be installed by both Sky and approved independent installers
    The following hardware will be installed: SkyPlus set-top box and minidish with quad LNB
    SkyPlus can also be purchased by digital satellite viewers who don't subscribe to Sky digital in order to record third party channels and free-to-air channels.

Customers can pre-register for SkyPlus by ringing this number 08705 800 800

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishblimp:
    I think Tony has answered your question.
    Tony - I'm not very well informed about Sky+ so I was wondering if it were possible to watch one satellite channel on main tv and another sat chan on another TV via RF2 or something seeing as it is possible to record 1 chan and watch another??

WILL
    </font>

Hi Will, I'm afraid I'm in the dark here also, its certainly possible with two tuners (and two cables)its a case of whether they allow it, I would think that the Rf out will only have one channel out as two modulators would make it more expensive but whats stopping you fron scarting to a video and using its modulator to output the second channel if they allow this (unlikely)Thanks for the info Charles the addition of Dolby 5.1 is certainly significant but theres no mention of the monthly subscription to download the listings.

Regards Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited 10-07-2001).]

Advertisement