Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

switching to Sky digital

• 15-06-2001 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Currently on Chorus - want to get out of it. I have a number of questions if you could help:
    1. Can you split the signal so that you can have 2 tv's on the go?
    2. Can you record a program on one channel while watching another?
    3. Does Sky breakdown often?
    4. Is it true that you can get BBC1 and BBC 2 on it?
    5. Who's the best to go through to get Sky, Eircom, Dixons, DID etc?
    If you could answer some or all it'd be a great help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdf:
    Currently on Chorus - want to get out of it. I have a number of questions if you could help:
    1. Can you split the signal so that you can have 2 tv's on the go?
    2. Can you record a program on one channel while watching another?
    3. Does Sky breakdown often?
    4. Is it true that you can get BBC1 and BBC 2 on it?
    5. Who's the best to go through to get Sky, Eircom, Dixons, DID etc?
    If you could answer some or all it'd be a great help.
    </font>

In answer to your questions.Aa far as I know..
    1. yes you can but you have to watch what is on the other t.v at the same time.
    2. No
    3. No, I had chorus and they were a joke. If you do have a problem the sky people are quick to help.
    4.Yes, and there a re rumours that UTV CH4 will be joining in the future(no dates yet).
    5. I went through Shaws here in Kildare, but I see that Dixons have a special on of £25 installation.

Anymore questions just ask smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BNC:

4.Yes, and there a re rumours that UTV CH4 will be joining in the future(no dates yet).
    </font>

ITV as a whole will be joining in the autumn/winter. UTV will presumably be available at the smae time in ROI because they will want a presence here, but there are some hurdles to climb.

Negociations are on-going to bring Channels 4 & 5 and the other BBC channels (Choice,Knowledge etc.) to ROI.

Press Release

http://utvinternet.com/utv/press/satellite.html

14th March 2001
    UTV TO BE AVAILABLE ON DIGITAL SATELLITE

UTV will be available on digital satellite by the end of this year, thanks to an agreement between ITV and satellite group Société Européenne des Satellites (SES).

The ten-year deal announced today means that UTV and the other fifteen regional ITV channels will be available on the ASTRA 2D satellite by the end of 2001.

ITV will have capacity on three digital satellite transponders. Each one can accommodate up to 8 channels meaning that ITV can secure additional capacity if required.

John McCann, UTV 's Managing Director said: "We are delighted that ITV has reached this agreement with SES, as it is an important first step towards ITV broadcasting on satellite.

"Given ITV's emphasis on regional programming, this decision highlights the important role satellite can play in delivering local as well as network services to viewers.

"The deal means that by the end of 2001, our viewers will be able to access UTV via every available platform - digital and analogue terrestrial as well as digital satellite and cable."

I also phoned the UTV Press Office this morning and was told that UTV will be on before the end of the year. They are still talking to Sky for EPG coverage. UTV2 is also due to start at the same time.

Thanks alot for the answers. I'm ditching Chorus (God why did I ever sign up with them) and moving to SKY! At last I'll be able to get the benefits of my TV!

Well done. Welcome to the club wink.gif

I think we should get t-shirts made up with "I survived Chorus" on them, or something like that!! biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

MickyPerry - In view of your UTV email, it does not state anywhere whether or not it will be available in the Irish Republic. It has been known for months that ITV have 3 transponders and intend to start transmissions at end of year but no word of ROI transmissions. Lets hope so though.

WILL D

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishblimp:
    It has been known for months that ITV have 3 transponders and intend to start transmissions at end of year </font>

On what satellite?
    What would ITV need 3 transponder for?
    Just leasing bandwidth on 1 would be enough.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    On what satellite?
    What would ITV need 3 transponder for?
    Just leasing bandwidth on 1 would be enough.
    </font>

Astra 2D.

Three transponders are needed as there will be one version for each of the regions.
    The exception is Border which will carry two versions for Scottish and English regional news. Also both HTV Wales and HTV West will be carried.

Also ITV2 and variants will be carried as will a few other new channels.

We don't know whether UTV will be available in ROI yet. If ITV doesn't agree an encryption deal with Sky then the channels will be unencrypted - and FTA for anyone who can receive the signal. IMHO this is unlikely however. I suspect UTV will want to be avaialable in ROI ASAP.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Richard:
    Astra 2D.

Three transponders are needed as there will be one version for each of the regions.
    The exception is Border which will carry two versions for Scottish and English regional news. Also both HTV Wales and HTV West will be carried.
    </font>

One TP can do 6 channels, where can i read that ITV rent 3?

Originally posted by chernobyl
    One TP can do 6 channels, where can i read that ITV rent 3?
    Here----if you can belive it!
    http://utvinternet.com/utv/press/satellite.html

• Advertisement

I honestly could not believe you, until i read the webpage ofcourse.
    sorry.
    smile.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Of course, there are 15 ITV companies, of which UTV is only one. Even without the extra channels (such as the 3 ITV-2's, the ITV Sport Channel, and the proposed CITV and ITV Talk), this would already need the best part of 3 transponders.

You may want to check the ITV Network Centre's press release at www.itv.co.uk on this matter also.

Advertisement