Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MTV IRL

• 11-06-2001 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but MTV seem to have an Ireland version for the ads. M T V : I R L comes up as the break bumper now, not M T V : U K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It is only a matter of time before all the channels will have Irish ads. It is easy money for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Richard:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but MTV seem to have an Ireland version for the ads. M T V : I R L comes up as the break bumper now, not M T V : U K</font>

Are you sure the ads have been regionalised? I don't think they are on cable. This MTV IRL breakbumper has however been occasionally used on MTV UK since St Patrick's Day (yes, the real one), when MTV UK visited Dublin for the weekend.

I don't think all the channels will have Irish ads, although the Sky ones and perhaps Nickelodeon, MTV, and National Geographic probably will.

As icdg said, the MTV:IRL has been available since March. As the full name of the channel is MTV UK & Ireland, it's only fair that we get involved somewhere. So, sometimes you'll see MTV:UK and sometimes MTV:IRL. Keeps everyone happy! smile.gif
    Pity Eurosport GB doesn't take note!

WILL D

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishblimp:
    As icdg said, the MTV:IRL has been available since March. </font>

Oh, right....
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Pity Eurosport GB doesn't take note!
    </font>

Strangely, the name of the Channel is British Eurosport and is labled as such on-screen and on OnDigital. It is just Eurosport GB onscreen. Strange, especially since GB and British aren't the same thing.

As for Irish ads - they will continue to appear on more channels, I have no doubt, but there will be a limit. Only the major channels will get this. It begs the question, though - why not have regional progs for ROI on Sky News and Sky One?

I wonder as well why Sky haven't done the same for Scotland since more people live there. Probably because more of the UK-generic ads would apply there than would here.

I would like British Eurosport to be renamed Eurosport UK & Ireland. Or else, Let us watch European Eurosport (which, as I remember, better than British Eurosport). Tis only a minor haggle though so if it's never changed, it doesn't really matter.

WILL D

• Advertisement

There really isn't that much of a difference between British and International English Eurosport. Personally I would prefer the British version on NTL, but that's a different kettle of fish...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishblimp:
    I would like British Eurosport to be renamed Eurosport UK & Ireland.</font>
    It is a bit wordy, that. But it might work.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Or else, Let us watch European Eurosport (which, as I remember, better than British Eurosport)
    </font>
    As Ronan said, there isn't much difference - BE even had ads in German the last I looked. The main difference is having Eurosport News with OnScreen presenters. There are sometimes also minor variations.

I heard some time ago that Eurosport News was to broadcast onto Sky Digital but have heard no word since. Does anyone have any info on this?

WILL D

Eurosport's Sportext page on Eurosport News claims that carrige deals were immenent with Sky, NTL UK, and Telewest (other UK cable company). This page is there since the launch of Eurosport News last Autumn, and as far as I am aware, no UK multichannel company carries Eurosport News yet.

Advertisement