Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Satellite internet access

• 09-05-2001 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Is this on topic here or not ?

- Munch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

how do i go about getting a satellite internet connection. i am sick to death of this 56K modem. it comes from an Astra satellite at 19.2 degrees but who do i contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Here's the blurb from Astra:

http://www.astra.lu/multimedia/need-4.htm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen:
    Is this on topic here or not ?

</font>

Is as far as I'm concerned...not just digital satellite television, but internet too...

On this very topic - an article in this week's Business and Finance suggests that RTE are going to use satellite to provide broadband internet services (VSAT they call it...)

The only problem with Satellite Internet is that U still need a modem connection to tell sat what to download. Satellite can only receive, not transmit. Well, actually, U can get a 2-way satellite internet system but it's extremely expensive and messy. I had the URL for the site selling it but lost it when formatting my HDD.

Surprising to see RTÉ attempting it though. Anyway, what happened ADSL in this country? We are extremely backward. I would be very content with 24/7 ADSL.

WILL D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, and another thing about sat access is that it gives woeful ping times - making it useless for online gaming. I hear, however, that 2-way satellite access gives pings of 30-40 ms which would be great for gaming, but this requires a "constellation" of sats in low orbit to work, and I don't think there are any european providers of 2-way sat yet - though I might be wrong.

- Munch

i just looked at the links given here and i am put off by the idea for the moment. it should prove interesting to see what RTÉ come up with. time will tell

Two-way sat (but expensive!)
    www.web-sat.com
    http://www.bentleywalker.com/

Old article by Barry Fox on how RTÉ planned to offer internet:
    http://www.newscientist.com/ns/19990529/newsstory7.html

"Ireland has spare UHF frequencies, and because it is a long way from other countries' transmitters it can transmit digital TV programmes at high power."

Really - What about those transmittters in NI and Wales? They aren't that far away!

Though I suppose it is in a better situation than, say, Luxembourg

I think ADSL is a better alternative to satellite internet. In Germany, Deutsche Telekom are trying to encourage people to upgrade from ISDN to ADSL. I currently have an ADSL connection from Telekom for a flat rate of around 20 quid a month. It is definitely faster than ISDN, but it also depends on the server you are accessing. The main advantage is that it doesn't block your phone line.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that Eircom have abandoned their rollout of ADSL, and ESAT are awaiting the unbundling of local loop networks by Eircom, before they can put in place their ADSL plans.

But don't you have to be living within a mile or so of the exchange to receive ADSL. I think for a lot of users in remote areas a satellite link is their only hope of fast internet access. Have a look at www.europeonline.com for whats available

Yeah, you're right about living within a certain distance of the exchange. Because I live in a city, it's no problem. In the initial rollout here, I have a download rate of 786 Mbits and an upload rate of 128 Mbits.

The only problem with satellite Internet is that you need a telephone line as an uplink. I was also reading that, because of the delay, it is not suitable for VoIP applications.

that is where my problem is. i am 100 meters or so from the nearest cable line. these people are supposed to be giving me my terrestrial BBC1, BBC2, HTV, Ch4 and S4C but guess what, they only way to get these off of them is via a cable connection and not terrestrial which i believe they are licensed for(i currently get my BBC (also from Sky), ITV and S4C off a transmitter in the Comeraghs. what also comes with them for about £20/pm is a cable internet service but i am so close but yet so far away from it. i feel they wont cable my road for the simple fact that people are fed up of waiting for them and got a Sky Digital system instead. what chance have i got now for a good broadband internet service. i am surely too far out of range for ADSL(if it ever comes to my town). i am about 4 miles outside. my only hope now is if Sky ever give us something close

[This message has been edited by Mossy Monk (edited 12-05-2001).]

How come eircom have abandoned ADSL rollout? I know they're backward but this is taking the mick. Not much of a national telecom service. It's good to see Esat take some interest as they seem to be the only telecom interested in future technologies. Also, they're the ONLY ISP in Ireland with Unmetered Internet Access (IOL NoLimits which I use myself). I live in a village but am about quarter mile from the exchange so I should have no problem getting ADSL. Some questions but:
    1. If eircom don't start ADSL, how can Esat start it as they don't own the telecom cabling system?
    2. Does ADSL work using your ordinary landline or does the lines have to be changed costing more expense?
    3. How much do you think ADSL in this country would cost per month? IOL NoLimits is £20pm. DSL wouldn't want to be much more.
    4. When? This decade? Next millenium?

WILL D

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishblimp:
    Unmetered Internet Access </font>

which is what i believed IOL No Limits was until they sent me a letter telling me my service will be discontinued on the 31st of May. they are trying to get me to upgrade to IOL Gold @ £90 per annum with call charges. something to do with the fact that you can only use No Limits for 75 hours a month. i am paying £16 p/m, not £20

I believe Eircom were planning to introduce ADSL, but decided then later it was too costly to introduce it, and put it on ice. They may yet just introduce it in the large populated areas, but there will be no nationwide rollout.

Esat can get their hands on Eircom's cabling system, once some legal battle is over about local loop networks. Esat could then rent/buy Eircom cabling in different areas, and be able to offer a complete solution.

ADSL works over your existing cabling. As for costs its hard to say, but I would expect anything between £20 - £40 / month.

I heard about Esat pulling the plug on IOL NoLimits, apparently they felt it was being over used. And the didn't anticipate the amount of usage the service would get. I guess NoLimits had limits!

When will ADSL be available, Esat will tell you later this year, and as some progress is being made on how much Eircom can charge for their local networks, this may be true. (Eircom are being told by the courts, what they can ask for, which is a lot less than what they were hoping to ask for) All you can do for the moment is register your interest on Esats website for ADSL, and they will contact you when it is being rolled out in your area.

Thanx for the informative answer to my questions bofh. I heard too that Esat were pulling the plug on NoLimits although it was supposed to be because Eircom are charging Esat too much for line usage. I haven't been told by Esat/IOL that NoLimits is shutting down yet. I was informed few months ago that each connection on NoLimits would last for 3 hours after which u would be disconnected but were free to reconnect again. It was to stop people logging onto net, then leaving PC logged on when not using it for handiness but blocking others from using service.

Mossy, am surprised you're only paying £16 while I'm paying £20. It's listed on the bill £16.53 (or something) before the 20% VAT is added which brings total to £20

I would imagine when Esat get to use Eircom lines for ADSL, I will probably not be lucky enough to get it as I live in small community. Must email 'em and see what they have 2 say.

WILL D

I hope Eircom gets their finger out if Esat starts supplying ASDL - after the No Limits fiasco, I want nothing more to do with Esat/Ireland Off Line

One way satellite internet is as good as you will need, 2 way is only really required if you really need to have a permanent upstream.
    Using offline downloading i can get 200kilobytes per second,
    fast enough if u ask me wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Ok
    My understanding is Eircom will start rolling out adsl in sepember-but only to a limited number of exchanges-mainly in Dublin. Depending on what the take up is etc they will roll it out to more exchanges where it is commercially feasible.
    If yu think that esat (BT) are going to roll out ADSl nationwide rapidly you are going to be disappointed
    jd

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dun_do_bheal:
    I hope Eircom gets their finger out if Esat starts supplying ASDL - after the No Limits fiasco, I want nothing more to do with Esat/Ireland Off Line</font>

What fiasco?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishblimp:
    What fiasco?</font>

Are you trying to start a war man?
    dont be one of those.
    smile.gif

[This message has been edited by icdg (edited 26-05-2001).]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Please try to stay reasonably on topic.

PS. Chernobyl, Brittany Spears does not count as being on topic...

the britney link is a signature.
    and man are you *****y.
    wink.gif

Britney posing beautifully like a satellite dish

I dread to think what chernobyl has said about me seeing it was edited by ICDG. mad.gif Anyway, staying on topic, I got a response from Esat regarding No Limits and ADSL:
    Thanks you for your mail
    In response to your query IOL No Limits is no longer
    available to new customers, however the service is still
    available to existing subscribers.

The ADSL product is still under review and as of yet no
    launch date has been decided on.

Thank you again for your inquiry
    Pamela
    Customer Care
    Esat Fusion

So, it seems NoLimits is being phased out. Whether or not you thought NL was any good, it is still a step in the wrong direction as far as Irish Internet provision goes. I guess I will soon be back to the 1p per min net access.
    If I changed ISP from IOL to, say, Eircom, would I lose my IOL email addresses?

WILL D

no. i still have my Eircom address from when i was with them

Advertisement