Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPG Numbers

Options
  • 29-04-2001 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The forum has gone a bit quiet lately, so this might get a few thoughts going.

EPG programme numbers.

Why did Sky leave the amount of 'gaps' between numbers on their existing EPG? I understand it's for the possibility of adding more channels in their respective categories, as they come on stream. But where are there bigger gaps in some sections than others?

Hypothetically, if viewers in ROI get RTE1, Net 2, TV3, C4 and UTV on EPG 101-105, and BBC1&2 on 214/215, where would C4 and C5 be places if they ever came on stream?

It would be nice to have them all together, but this is unlikely to happen.

I am also surprised that Liberty TV got such a high-profile position as 202, it's a terrible channel.

Is it a case of whoever pays most gets the premium EPG numbers (apart from terrestrial broadcasters)?

Any further updates on the 'personal planner EPG', due out next month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Each network seem to get 3 EPGs. U notice that the channels jump in 3's regarding to networks (eg 199-artsworld, 202-Liberty, 205-E4, 208-MagShow, 211-wellbeing, 214-BBC1 etc.)
    BBC will use their second EPG 215 for BBC2.
    I imagine if C4 came to ROI they could use 206 or 207 after E4. Or maybe 187 as this EPG trilogy isn't being used or the numbers between UKdrama and Tara. The possibilities are endless. As long as they come on, I dont really care where they go as they will be added to my Favourites List!

WILL

I wish the BBC had left a gap of four from 214, forcing Play UK to take 218. This would ensure our ability to receive BBC1-4 at some point. Of course, the new BBC3 and BBC4 may stay with their current numbers (160, 573) and it won't be such an issue. It does mean, however, that no new Sky Digital channel which is also available in Ireland can take 214, so the UK will find it and 215 never used on their systems.

"I imagine if C4 came to ROI they could use 206 or 207 after E4."

Possibly, but these are really only left so that E4 can do an E4+1 or a further spin-off channel (say, an E4 Comedy Channel) and I can see C4 taking an EPG number which is the next available like the BBC did. In fact, there is an EPG rule which states that new additions must take the next available slot rather than take any one they wish (the exception is those which have unused slots and wish to do the +1 style channels.) UK Horizion's +1 channel, for example, takes 565 from next month.

"Or maybe 187 as this EPG trilogy isn't being used or the numbers between UKdrama and Tara."

Don't forget that BBC Choice is on 160 in the UK. 187 was formerly Rapture and the above rule still applies. I suppose when the 200s become full, there will be a restructuring of this obvious gap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Broadcasting Act 2001 says that all the Irish and UK terrestrial channels have to be at the top of any EPG - I wonder if anyone could take a case against Sky to make them comply with this and put BBC etc on 105-108? Probably not as they are a UK company...

I'm not sure how Irish law works on this regard, but and station whose broadcasts are receivable in the UK must comply with UK legislation. This includes internet webcasts, though this is not strictly enforced for the internet. The Irish Government could sto pSky operating in ROI if they didn't comply with Irish law - couldn't they? Though any government wanting to do this would face electoral disaster.

The fact that Irish people could recieve stations outside ROI didn't exist in Irish law until the Broadcasting Act 2001 (which has yet to be brought into force by Ministerial order). Even now, the only references in the Act to stations outside ROI are "Services available wholly in Northern Ireland".

Incidently if Sky were to comply with the letter of the Act they would have to go to the IRTC (or the BCI as it will become) and ask to enter into detailed negiotations on being awarded a "Electronic Programme Guide Service Contract" in order to have an EPG in the first place...I suspect this provision won't be enforced though.

• Advertisement

"Even now, the only references in the Act to stations outside ROI are "Services available wholly in Northern Ireland".

I saw this in the Act. It is a bit vague. Is Sky One "Wholly available in Northern Ireland"? If not, what about Channel 5. It isn't available in the south-west of the province at all and very poorly in many other places.

I believe that actually came up at Committee Stage, but they decided for whatever reason not to change it. Most of the third reading debate got entangled in a compeletly unrelated question of ILR licences (which don't even get a mention in the Act) so things like this didn't really get serious consideration. Its' really just there to allow the Minister to "make" the DTT franchisee carry BBC and ITV. As if they wouldn't want to!

Oh yes, the Act finally allows satellite TV services here. I wonder do Sky have to apply for a "Satellite Content Contract"? They have to pay a levy to the BCI(5% of revenue I think) if they do - other contractors have their levy abolished...

Advertisement