Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southcoast Changes

Options
  • 29-05-2001 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Southcoast Community TV are now broadcasting BBC1 NI (instead of BBC1 Wales) and Channel 4 (instead of S4C). Still broadcasting BBC2 Wales and HTV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I wonder if they are getting the signal from NI via analogue or from DSat. I'd say it may be the latter. You will be able to tell by checking if Channel 4 has any Teletext (it won't if it is from DSAT) and if widescreen programmes (such as BBC News) are shown as 14:9 letter box, or cropped full-screen.

I will check this later on but I am not going to promise any results. The signal I receive from Southcoast is very weak so Teletext does not work at the best of times.

where exactly do Southcoast Community TV broadcast to. is it the whole south coast. i miss Channel 4

I am picking it up from the Carrigaline transmitter in County Cork. There are transmitter details on their site which Ronan has a link to on ICDG.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mossy Monk:
    where exactly do Southcoast Community TV broadcast to. is it the whole south coast. i miss Channel 4</font>

Caragaline, Co. Cork area apparently. Patches of Cork, with overspill into Kerry and Waterford. They have the distinction of being the only deflector company with a multiple transmitter licence. Plus the only ones with plans for digital (albeit via MMDS).

• Advertisement

i checked the 3 different transmitters i can receive and i am still stuck with S4C frown.gif my only hope is Channel 4 from Sky

There were/are problems with a signal on Ch 69 from the Comeragh Mts getting CC (Co-Channel) interference from another deflector at Dunmore East Co.Waterford. The Carrigaline site received the Comeraghs. This is why I think they went to D-Sat (instead of Welsh UHF) for one of the TV channels.
    Apparently the Deflector (Tony Power/Coastal Multisystems) in Harristown, Dunmore East used use Ch 67 as of last year but this was moved to Ch 69, then causing objectionable interference to SCTV in certain areas. Does anyone know why Harristown, Dunmore East moved one of their 4 channels from 67 to 69??)

BTW
    It is not fully true to say there is no teletext with DSAT C4, it is in fact partially there, just type in page 300 (instead of 100) and see.

why they changed from 67 to 69 i dont know because there was a good BBC1 signal coming through on ch69. i think their S4C is there now. if they are blocking access to their UHF broadcasts they are doing a poor job seeing as BBC2 and HTV are loud and clear where i am near Dungarvan. also if you check teletext on page 500 on Channel 4 or E4 on Sky Digital there is actual Teletext pages there. i thought Teletext was totally seperate to ITV/Channel4

also if you check teletext on page 500 on Channel 4 or E4 on Sky Digital there is actual Teletext pages there. i thought Teletext was totally seperate to ITV/Channel4</font>

Well - Teletext is an ITV franchise (even though it is also on CH4), awarded by the government in the same way as other ITV franchises. It is required to be carried on Analogue Terrestrial (and poss. cable) as well as DTT 9albeit in a different form). There is no requirement for Channel 4 to carry in on DSat but afaik there is no problem if it does. Channel 5 does, and it does not have to. What is on 500, anyway?

on 500 there is financial headlines and on 550 there is racing headlines

• Advertisement

on 500 there is financial headlines and on 550 there is racing headlines</font>

They probably kept the racing in because the channel itself shows so much racing. The easiest way was probably to keep one whole "magazine" - i.e. the 5XX one.

What page comes up first when you press text. In the old days it was 400, but it changed to the more regular 100 a few years ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Richard:
    Well - Teletext is an ITV franchise (even though it is also on CH4), awarded by the government in the same way as other ITV franchises. It is required to be carried on Analogue Terrestrial (and poss. cable) as well as DTT 9albeit in a different form). There is no requirement for Channel 4 to carry in on DSat but afaik there is no problem if it does. Channel 5 does, and it does not have to. What is on 500, anyway?

</font>

Channel 5's teletext is not provided by Teletext Limited, but by Sky Five Text Ltd, a JV of Sky and Channel 5. In reality, Channel 5 teletext is practically identical to Skytext, at least for P100-199.

when you press text it goes to page 100 a black screen with nothing but the page number

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by icdg:
    Channel 5's teletext is not provided by Teletext Limited
    </font>

They were the other bidder in the race to get it though. It would have made sense and would have been a lot better than that Sky offering which always seems to be getting you to ring premium rate numbers to find out what is going on in Star Trek/Buffy etc.

Advertisement